cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto Focus Cases

pjscott51
Enthusiast

I'm shooting with the Canon 5D 3 and the Canon 70-200 2.8 lens. I have the lens set to 1.2m-infenity, AF, stabilizer on and mode 2.

I'm shooting some youth basketball. I'm confused when it comes to which AF case is best to use when shooting something like basketball. I've tried several if not all of the AF cases but have yet to find one where all my photos are properly focused. The problem seems to be more distinct with distant subjects then with closer subjects. The enclosed photo is an example of the problem I'm having.

I appreciate any help,

Thanks,

Paul

_test_5D_9462.jpg

11 REPLIES 11

@pjscott51 wrote:

When shooting sports I usually use the 61 focal points. And part of my confusion with cases was due to having several shots that resembled the photo that I included in my post. Since I was using the 61 focal points I’m not sure why or how the focal point focused on the subject in the background rather than the subjects in the foreground. I thought that maybe it had something to do with the case I was using.

Again thanks for the help,

Paul

When using an auto AF point selection mode like 61 point with AIServo. The camera will focus on the starting AF point (usually the center point), and then as the subject moves away from the starting AF point it will hand off to other AF points. This is different than when using 61 point in One Shot were the camera will focus on the closest thing under any of the active AF points. There are exceptions to this for the 1DX Mk II and the 7D Mk II, but, for the majority of the Canon line it applies. 

Thanks TTMartin for that information. I'll give this a try.

Paul

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements