cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto Exposure Bracketing in Auto ISO

Lee_Jay
Contributor

I have a 7D Mark II, but I understand this is the same with other cameras.

When you set auto ISO in manual mode, and change exposure compensation, it changes ISO.  Good.

When you set auto ISO in manual mode, and use auto exposure bracketing, it changes shutter speed.  Not good.

I understand the thinking here, even if I think it's wrong, so instead of just "fixing it", I'd recommend a custom function for selecting which you want it to do.  In my case, I actually want manual mode to behave like manual mode rather than behaving like Av mode which is the current behavior with AEB in manual mode.  If I had wanted the behavior to be like Av mode, I would have set it in Av mode!

30 REPLIES 30

Smiley Very Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Joel Grimes uses a Camranger to accomplish this. Wondering if the Canon Connect app couldn't do the same thing?

While looking for something else, I just happened to stumble across this in the 7D Mark II Instruction Manual.

EOS_7D2_ISO_Bracketing.JPG

Haven't tried it, yet, though.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@danstepnik wrote:

Joel Grimes uses a Camranger to accomplish this. Wondering if the Canon Connect app couldn't do the same thing?

I own a CamRanger.  It's useful function is that it gives "WiFi" control to cameras that don't have built-in WiFi with remote control capabilities.  You can do the same thing with a long tethering cable ... and any software that supports tethered control of the camera.  

I actually prefer a long tethering cable and a real computer if I have the option...there are things I can do easier and faster than I can do using an iPad (at least today).  I don't see the same level of software maturity on a tablet ... but things are advancing rapidly so that day is probably not too far in the future.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Lee_Jay
Contributor

I understand just fine, and I have a perfectly valid reason for wanting this. What I don't understand is why I need two different modes, Av and M to behave the same in this case (Auto ISO). I put it in manual because I don't want shutter speed to change. If I wanted it to change, I would have used Av. If I'm in manual with fixed ISO, that's another story and something has to give (and shutter speed is the logical one). But AEB in manual with auto ISO should do exactly what I'm asking it to do and exactly what it does with manual EC applied - change ISO, not shutter speed.

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

I jsut realized this is an old zombie thread that's come back to life.  The original poster is probably long gone.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

@TCampbell wrote:

I jsut realized this is an old zombie thread that's come back to life.  The original poster is probably long gone.

Sorry about that.  

@TCampbell wrote:

Still right here, still wishing they hadn't made this design decision.  Over 50,000 shots on my 7D Mark II and I've wanted this particular feature dozens of times.

@Lee_Jay wrote:

@TCampbell wrote:

Still right here, still wishing they hadn't made this design decision.  Over 50,000 shots on my 7D Mark II and I've wanted this particular feature dozens of times.

Did you see my earlier post, from a couple of hours ago?  I haven't tried, but it sounds like what you're looking for.

@Waddizzle wrote:

@Lee_Jay wrote:

@TCampbell wrote:

Did you see my earlier post, from a couple of hours ago?  I haven't tried, but it sounds like what you're looking for.

I did, but I didn't see the relevance.

Announcements