cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Attempting to make camera heavier

srivas285
Apprentice

Hello all! 

So I recently purchased a EOS M50 and I really do like it as it's my first camera so entry level felt right. However, I hit a slight snag and instead of trying to back track on it, I'd like to make it work. 

I purchased the DJI Ronin S stablizer. However, I learned that that stabilizer really favors heavier cameras so properly setting it up isn't working becaue it's too light. 

I thought to add balance weights between the camera and mounting plate but I can't find any 1/4 screws that are long ehough and have the correct threading in order to do this.

So I'm looking for guidance / suggestions! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

If you went to a workshop that does digital printing or cutting, you could get them to print a metal plate for you that fits the bottom of the camera, with holes for the various ports - e.b. threaded for a tripod and an opening for the battery.  That is likely to keep the balance of the camera on the body rather than pushing the C of G forward with a heavy lens.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

srivas285
Apprentice

Also, I know if I got a bigger lens I would be able to balance it, but I'm looking to use some of my other lenses such as my 24MM and 50MM. 

If you went to a workshop that does digital printing or cutting, you could get them to print a metal plate for you that fits the bottom of the camera, with holes for the various ports - e.b. threaded for a tripod and an opening for the battery.  That is likely to keep the balance of the camera on the body rather than pushing the C of G forward with a heavy lens.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

@Tronhard wrote:

Note, though, that nothing that doesn't stiffen the front of the camera body will help to counteract the strain placed on the camera body by a heavy lens. Simply moving the CoG rearward will not do it. I recognize that that's not necessarily the issue in this case, but it's worth keeping in mind.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Absolutely agreed Bob. I would favour the plate solution rather than committing to a heavy lens. Not only would it put strain on the mount it would throw the CofG forward. A custom-made base plate for the body would seem to me to be the best solution. It's a pity there doesn't seem to be a battery grip for this body, that might have been a solution.

The closest I can find is the Really Right Stuff BCM5-L Set L-Plate for Canon EOS M5 - it would add about 50gm of weight, but we don't know how much weight is wanted...

cheers, TREVOR

I'm gonna look in to getting a custom base plate. I had a Roxant stabilizer and I tried to somehow mount the weights that it came with to the camera but I couldn't find a screw long enough to put all 3 weights plus the Ronin S base plate on. But this seems easy enough. Just get a base plate that would cover the rectangular portion of the bottom of the camera and make sure that it's heavy enough. 

I appreciate everyones help! 

@srivas285 wrote:

I'm gonna look in to getting a custom base plate. I had a Roxant stabilizer and I tried to somehow mount the weights that it came with to the camera but I couldn't find a screw long enough to put all 3 weights plus the Ronin S base plate on. But this seems easy enough. Just get a base plate that would cover the rectangular portion of the bottom of the camera and make sure that it's heavy enough. 

I appreciate everyones help! 

There is a name for a “custom base plate.”  It is called a set of rails.  Mount the camera on a set of 15mm rails.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Ray-uk
Whiz

Perhaps a housebrick and a piece of gaffer tape might do it Smiley LOL

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
Try mounting the camera on rails.
--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements