cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aspiring photographer.

adam_mateo_
Contributor
Looking to buy a camera for my trip to Europe this summer and I've narrowed my options to the EOS 6D, 7D Mark II, 7D, 70 D, and 60 Da. Which one is the best suit, please provide your reasoning behind your choice.
17 REPLIES 17

adam_mateo_
Contributor
I've taken the EOS 7D off the list and it's come down to the EOS 6D, 7D Mark II, 60Da and the 70D. I only have an issue w/ the 6D because it's not compatible w/ the EF-S lenses.

adam_mateo_
Contributor
Alrighty, it's now between the EOS 6D or 7D Mark II. I really need advice as to which one is better.

If it were me in your shoes, the 7D Mk II is the choice.  Don't get caught up in the "this camera is better than that for whatever."

This is a fantastic camera and will make a great traveling partner.  The 6D will do nothing better than the Mk II that you can readily see.

The 7D Mk II has way better features and the fact it can use less expensive ef-s lenses is just another plus.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

If it were me in your shoes, the 7D Mk II is the choice.  Don't get caught up in the "this camera is better than that for whatever."

That's hysterical.  Don't get caught up in it, just buy the top of the line crop camera.

@ebiggs1 wrote:
The 6D will do nothing better than the Mk II that you can readily see.

It's a shame to waste all that knowledge in your head by being so biased for and against certain things.  Go look at the data again, the 7d2 is nowhere close in low light performance, despite how badly you want to believe otherwise.  It's also 60% the cost of the 7d2.

OP:  That said, I wouldn't recommend the 6D, or the 7d2, or even the 70D.  If you're a beginning photographer what's wrong with getting a "beginner" camera.  The Rebel series is a fine camera and capable of producing "professional results" if you know what you're doing.  Which you don't.  So get a Rebel, and if you're really itching to spend money then spend it on lenses.  They'll be there long after you've upgraded your camera.

ScottyP
Authority

What is your budget?  

The typical reason to get a 7d2 would be if you frequently shoot fast action sports, or maybe if you use it very roughly. Very roughly.
If you are not either of these shooters, and you want to shoot a crop with EF-s lenses, save your money and get a T5i or even better wait for the T6s.

The 6d is a full frame camera and will give you better high ISO low light performance without as much ugly noise and grain. Less-than-bright light is pretty much THE major struggle in photography, so having a camera that works well in dim light is going to be useful almost every day.  What you think of as "dim" and what the camera thinks of as "dim" are not the same.  The camera really needs more light to "see" than your eyes do.  The loss of EF-s lenses is by no means the end of the world.  The AF on the 6D is not very complex, but it is as good enough for ordinary shooting, and I use mine for kids sports with pretty good success, actually.

If a trip to Europe is really a major factor, and assuming you want a big camera rather than going for small portable ones, I think the 6d is the winner unless daylight soccer matches are to be a really big part of the trip. A lot of what you will be shooting will be indoors in dim light.

Remember lenses are more important than bodies.  Also allow yourself time before the trip to learn your camera, and to learn photography if you are not already pretty knowledgable.  You don't want to be on the trip trying to figure that stuff out or you may miss some irreplaceable shots due to user error.

Just my 2 cents.

Good luck and enjoy your trip.

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

Hopefully you've permanently scratched the 60Da off your list.  The "a" stands for "astrophotography" and it's a special-purpose camera with a modified IR cut filter to allow vastly more reds (specially they're going after the Hydrogen alpha band at about 656nm).  While the camera can still attach normal lenses and be used like any other camera, you'd notice ever image is is very strong in reds.

The 6D and 7D II are VERY different cameras. 

The 7D II is an APS-C sensor camera, but in every other respect it's a pro body.  It's very durable.  It's heavily optimized for action photography.  It also has a very sophisticated auto-focus system which is not necessarily intuitive.  Anyone buying such a camera really sould plan to sit down and go through it's features and especially spend some time understanding the focus system.  I do know of at least one person who owns a 5D III (which has nearly the same focus system) and was surprised to learn they pretty much found a way to get the camera to use a single center point and have never changed modes... ever.  They admitted it's because they don't understand the focus system.  I pointed them to the docs & videos on it (Canon has a special document on just the focus system.) 

I think I'd love a 7D II... but if you're looking for a camera that can be used by a casual user... the 7D II might be a bit much.

And then there's the 6D.

The 6D has extremely good ISO performance and a focus system that can focus down to -3 EV.  It's an outstanding camera if you have to shoot in low light.  The focus system is relatively simple... it has an 11 point system which very strongly resembles the system you'd find on the Rebel bodies.  The focus system is friendlier toward casual shooting and this is considered an "entry" full-frame body (but "entry" for full frame is still very high end).  

But it is also a "full frame" camera so you can't use the EF-S  lenses (those only work on crop-frame sensor bodies).  This means every lens you use will have a wider angle of view as compared to an APS-C crop-frame sensor body (like a 7D II).  It's also able to generate stronger background blur (full frame cameras naturally have a narrower depth of field.)  

This makes the 6D a better camera for things like (a) low light, (b) portraiture, (c) landscape, (d) architecture (especially interiors).  But it would be a worse camera for sports & wildlife (action photography).

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

I'm with Skirball on this one. As a new DSLR enthusiast it's easy to overspend but get very little extra for all the money spent. Until you settle on what fields interest you start with a decent body & lens combo, learn how to use them properly (as in forget about using Auto) & expand your interests by adding better or more versatile lenses. A whole lot of new photographers can get by with a Rebel, a superzoom & an UWA. When you hit the limits of those you'll know why & what you need to do to improve. Remember you'll probably need some good software to edit with, and maybe a quality monitor or even a good Photo Grade printer.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

adam_mateo_
Contributor
I've taken all into consideration and I think I'm going to go w/ the 7D Mark II because of its fps, although the 6D works better in lower lighting, I wouldn't want to miss the perfect shot.

adam_mateo_
Contributor

Oh, if you have anything to say about my decision please feel free to express yourself, I'm happy to know why. I suppose I have one remaining question, I plan to use the 7D Mark II extensively, it's more durable than the 6D correct?

Announcements