Canon Community Canon Community

Occasional Contributor

Re: Area selection zones not working

I think its a bug in the software, mine started working but the moment i put a radio trigger on the hotshoe it stopped and hasn't worked since either through the viewfinder or the LCD really weird. I only use single spot zones anyway and that works ok but I can not chooes different af zones and trust me I have been through everything!
New Contributor

Interesting.  I have heard that Canon does not allow 3rd party flashes.  I purchased a small SunPak fill flash, since the Mark III doesn't come with one.  I used it once, and have not been able to get the AF selection mode to work since.  Maybe the hotshoe of a 3rd party device shorts something out???

Occasional Contributor

I doubt it's hardware I think it's a software glitch myself. I use pocket wizards and a nissin di866 mk 2. I can't believe very one with 5d mk 3's use only canon gear. At least you can still choose af zones via the viewfinder that's still workable! If you solve it please let me know.
Occasional Contributor

Hi mate,

Did you manage to fix this? I'm still having the same problem.

Many thanks.
New Contributor

dsoup, 

I finally called Canon Customer Support.  We wound up reseting the C-Fn and Clearing all Camera settings (admittedly resulting in my having to spend a lot of time to reset...).  But it did fix the issue.  The panel on the top of the camera does not change via design, it only reflects SEL [  ]  (and [ __ ] AF) .  But the large LCD on the back of the camera does work.

If I press the INFO button on the back of the camera (3 times) to bring up the Settings menu (Av/P/Tv, Shutterspeed, Aperature, ISO, etc), then press the 3rd button on the right behiind the top panel (AF point selection button - looks like a square with 5 dots in it), it brings up the 6 AF selection modes on the back of the camera.  Immediately pressing the M-Fn button (behind the shutter release) toggles through the selection points.

BTW, this didn't work at all until I reset everything.  Go figure.  It works now. 

Hope that helps.

The Canon Cust Serv folks were extremely helpful.  It may be worth a call into them.

Occasional Contributor

Thanks buddy I'll give it a go.

Much appreciated and thanks for getting back to me!
New Contributor

Hello everyone.

I bumped into this problem some days ago. Only resetting camera settings (not custom functions) helped. I thought it would be useful to write this here.

Still no cue why the AF selection stopped working. I suspect connecting my camera to an Android tablet with DSLR Controller app, which might have messed up or locked the ability to choose AF points.

New Contributor

This is happening to me, M-Fn will not scroll / select the AF modes, i am stuck on single point? i reset everything as pointed in the thread and still no joy. i reset everything of this 5d3 to another one that does not have this problem . could it be a firmware issue, the problematic one is 1.2.3, its a used  5d3 with 43k actuations, 

Esteemed Contributor

@cpstephens wrote:

This is happening to me, M-Fn will not scroll / select the AF modes, i am stuck on single point? i reset everything as pointed in the thread and still no joy. i reset everything of this 5d3 to another one that does not have this problem . could it be a firmware issue, the problematic one is 1.2.3, its a used  5d3 with 43k actuations, 

The 5D3 is now at 1.3.5, (At least that's where mine is.) So you might as well start by upgrading yours.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
New Contributor

It now works when I use the front wheel, have not done upgrade in firmware yet.