cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Area selection zones not working

dsoup
Contributor
Someone please point out my foolish error.

The M-Fn button won't toggle through the different AF Selection modes.

Canon 5D Mark III
Manual mode
One Shot

I have selected all (or other combinations) of AF area selection modes from AF menu 4 (which means I should be able to toggle between them with the M-Fn button after pressing the AF Point Selection Button.

I should be able to:
Press the AF Point Selection Button (the one on the upper right that looks like a checkerboard)
Press M-Fn one or more times to toggle through AF area selection modes (Spot AF, Expand AF Area, Expand AF Area Surround, Manual Select or Auto Selection of 61 pt AF).
What is actually does is just toggle off/on the indicator in the viewfinder that show which AF point is selected (not the selection mode).

I also tried in on AI Servo, with the same response.

And, yes, I did check to make sure that the AF area selection method is set to M-Fn in AF Menu 4 (and not to Main Dial).

I also tried with two different lenses, since some of the focus system functionality is lens dependent.

What have I got set somewhere to restrict this functionality?
22 REPLIES 22

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

If you break it down it might help to figure out where it's not working as expected.

Make sure your "Info" button is toggled until your rear LCD display shows the camera's mode, shutter speed, f-stop, ISO, etc. etc.  This wont impact the ability to change AF mode selection, but at least you can see that the camera is responding to your next button press.

When you press the rear AF selection button, it should be the button in the extreme top right corner of the back of the camera.   After pressing this button (but before pressing the M-Fn button) the rear-display should change.  The top of the rear display should read:  "AF point selection", the row below should show which AF mode is currently selected.  The row below that should display each of the available modes but at the extreme right you should see the "M-Fn" signifying that pressing that button will cause it to toggle to the next mode.

When you initially press the rear AF selection button, do you see the rear LCD display update  to show that you can either select new AF modes -or- alter the selected point within your current mode?  

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

It worked but when I tried it again it didn't.

When I'm in info mode with shutter speed etc and I press far right af point selection nothing is changing at all?

Are you, by chance, in full "Auto" mode (the mode dial set to the green "A"?)  

AF mode selection is not available in that mode, but is available in all other modes.

If you are in full auto mode (green "A") then _while_ pressing the AF mode & point selection button, the rear LCD will display the message "This button is not available in Scene Intelligent Auto mode" (but the message is only displayed WHILE you continue to press and hold the AF mode selection button.)

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Hi Tim,

Most definitely not in auto, I only shoot in manual or av. When I first pressed info to get to the info screen as you advised followed by af selection it switched over and I managed to select centre focus with 4 clusters around and I was able to scroll through each zone it's still now set to that but it's so strange that I can't choose any other zone again. It's like it's locking up but I'm not locking anything?

Ok,

Please press the menu button and check "purple" AF menu #4 in the camera menu system.

The 2nd row from the button should read:  AF area selection method

This option allows you to change how you select different AF modes and the factory default would set this to the "M-Fn" button.  

It's possible you changed it to "Main Dial" method.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Your very helpful Tim thank you but I have already tried both options wheel and mfunction. I have looked to see if you can change the af selection button just in case but I can't find anything in customising that key. When i press af selection key now on the far right the two af rows start flashing on either side of the middle block of af points. I have all 61 points showing in view finder. I'm not sure if you know anything else that may help?

Really greatful!

Orange camera #2 menu has a "Custom Controls" menu and one of hte options is to set the function of the M-Fn button... but I think this only controls the behavior when the M-Fn button is pressed on it's own... not when pressing it after pressing the AF selection button.  

BTW, my default setting in the Orange camera #2 -> Custom Controls -> M-Fn is set to "FEL" (which is probably the factory default because I don't think I've ever tried to change it.)   The possible choices for the menu don't include anything about focus modes.

The only other thing I can think of is that Orange camera #4 has a "Clear all Custom Func. (C.Fn)" choice... and Gold wrench #4 has a "Clear all camera settings" button -- if you think you may have changed something in a menu and can't find it.

I can't think of anything else that would control this.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Mine is also set to fel and tried many times on the whole reset thing.

Thanks anyway but I'm thinking it's a faulty unit now.

Many thanks for trying to help though it's really appreciated!

dsoup, I am very interested to hear what you find out.

I too am having the exact same issue.  I have tried everything.

I can get the AF selection to work in the view finder, but not in the LCD panel.

I have seen it once, then it quickly went black... so I suspect it's an issue with my brand new Mark III.

I wonder if this is an issue with Canon's design???

I'd be curious to hear what you find out.

Announcements