cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are there lenses that don't work with the 7D Mark II?

trt
Apprentice

Hi,

A friend of mine just bought this camera and says the AF does not work with a couple of his lenses - EF 28-70 2.8L and EF 70-200 2.8L. They are older but shouldn't they still function?

Thanks for any input.

3 REPLIES 3

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

They should. Can they be checked on a different body? 

I imply from your question that other lenses do work on the camera. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

The only Canon EOS lenses that can't be used with the 7D II are the "EF-M" lenses (made specifically for the Canon EOS-M (Mirrorless) bodies).  All other EOS lenses (including the two you mentioned) should work fine.

There's an auto-focus / manual-focus switch on the side of the lenses (labeled 'AF/MF').  Make sure it's in the AF position if you want auto-focus.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"...AF does not work with a couple of his lenses ..."

You are incredibly unlucky to have two lenses that don't AF at the same time.  Add to that they happen to be two of the best lenses made even if they are the first versions.  I would definitely look elsewhere for the problem.  First try them on another camera.  If you don't have another camera or a friend, go to a real camera store or Best Buy or another store and ask if they would let you try them.

The problem being with a new 7D Mk II also seems unlikely but can and does happen.  Trying a different camera will tell you much.  if the other camera doesn't prove out call Canon Support 1 (800) 652-2666

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements