cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are the rumors of 5D Mark iv and 70D Mark ii TRUE? Launching soon?

DirekBidz
Apprentice

I am about to buy a new Canon camera.

Right now, my heart is set for the 5D S-r. But if Canon is going to realease newer models on February, I would like to know what they are so I can compare and have my options.

That would be all. Thank you!

Have a nice day!

8 REPLIES 8

ScottyP
Authority

If you want a super high megapixel camera you are pretty safe with the new 5d s cameras. They are not likely to update them soon. 

The rumor sites are pretty sure the 5d3 is going to be replaced in 2016 but the 1dx will be updated first.  If you are ok with a sensor in the 24 to 28 mp range, that is where these new cameras are predicted to be.   No guarantees of course. 

I personally care more about noise at high ISO so a less dense pixel compaction is appealing to me.  I personally would prefer a camera like what a 5d4 will probably be over a 50mp super res camera that does less well in low light.  

Low light high ISO both creates noise and robs detail.  Denser pixels aggrivate noise but fewer pixels don't help you maintain fine detail at high ISO.  Maybe 28 - 32mp on a new back illuminated sensor would be the sweet spot in low light balancing noise vs  loss of detail.  

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

Mitsubishiman
Rising Star

Like you I was waiting for the announcement on the 5D Mark iv. And just like you my heart was really set on the 5DSr, I approached it like this, I prefer darker photography so the less than ISO of other models was not a real factor, I prefer landscape specifically waterscapes and I like 16” X 24” prints or larger, or viewing on a 24” or larger high quality screen, the lesser fps was also not applicable to my needs, I was not concerned about the Wi-Fi or the GPS, so the omission on the 5DSr was not a concern and if it becomes one it can be added on.

Like any decision you will make, next month, next year, etc….

Something new will arrive, so the decision to wait is paramount, however at one point the decision will have to be made and for lack of a better term “Now”

My decision on any purchase of a device that is technology driven is always based on the needs of the moment and the desires of the heart, for to me, they outweigh the potential possibilities of what could be, what will be, because they are forever in flux, so any decision will always come with a sense of regret as soon as another announcement of the “Next Model” occurs.

Think of it this way, remember the first camera you acquired, now remember every one since then, no matter which one you buy next, it will probably not be your last…

For what it’s worth, I purchased the 5DSr, my only regret so far is the lack of time I have to utilize it lol

Thank you for taking time to reply.

Your response is very inspiring it it propelled me to seek better payment options for the 5DsR "NOW"

Again, thank you! 

I hope you find time to shoot. I would love to see your photos. 

Have a blessed day!

--Bidz Dela Cruz (Florida)

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I guess it is always nice to have the latest greatest but I also like to have it now.  So I can use it now instead of waiting for what comes next.

Canon has some monumental hurdles to get over after the recent announcements and releases from Nikon.  The D5 and D810 are pretty formidable competition.

The 1Dx Mk II and the 5D Mk IV should be something, to say the least.  Both of the brand-N entries have approx. 36mp sensors and very good high ISO performance.

Best recommendation is to buy what you need.  Get it today and start using it.  How many shots will you miss by waiting?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

JonKline
Enthusiast

The most likely scenario is that Canon is fleshing out its line to better compare to Sony's fullframe cameras. In particular, the 5Dsr to compete with the A7R series, and the 5DmarkIII/IV to compete with the A7 series. If you are driven by megapixels, there is no reason not to buy the 5Dsr. I would guess it's highly unlikely that the 5D mark IV would have the same or higher resolution.

If I were to look into the crystal ball of the Canon 5D mark IV vs the mark III, I would guess we'd see improved dynamic range, much faster high-speed shooting, and incremental improvements to things like autofocus.

Ultimately, the advice to buy what you need, today, is good advice. The worst thing that could happen is that you buy a camera and the new one comes out. That might push the resale value down 10-20%. It's a few hundred bucks, but hopefully you got at least that value out of it before the new one came out.

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@DirekBidz wrote:

I am about to buy a new Canon camera.

Right now, my heart is set for the 5D S-r. But if Canon is going to realease newer models on February, I would like to know what they are so I can compare and have my options.

That would be all. Thank you!

Have a nice day!

If you buy a camera that does what you want it to do, it will still do that regardless of what new camera is announced or released.

If you simply want the latest and greatest camera then it really doesn't matter if the camera does what you want or not, because there will always be a newer camera in the horizon. 

"If you buy a camera that does what you want it to do, it will still do that regardless of what new camera is announced ..."

Exactly! Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"If you buy a camera that does what you want it to do, it will still do that regardless of what new camera is announced ..."

Exactly! Smiley Happy

And there's somethng to be said for buying a camera fairly late in its production run. The price has often fallen, and the initial bugs have had time to get worked out. IIRC, even the 5D3, which is about as good as a DSLR gets, had a partial recall in its early days because of unwanted light finding its way in.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements