cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are You Interested In Purchasing An 80D?

Robodot
Enthusiast

I want to apologize to the person that was going to "pull the trigger" on an 80d. It deserves a better answer than the one I gave "I'm just sayin"

I was referring to the changes that are hopefully around the corner, if you dont want to wait, it is a good camera, I think.

1. There may be a 90D

2. Mirrorless cameras are a great idea but there are very few good native lenses (I believe native lenses work best on crop sensors). The bodies are to small to hold, some issues with getting a quick plate attached with the narrow body, full frame is not the holy grail and I do not like the EVF for outdoor wildlife.

3. Canon is not the same as it was when I purchased my 60D.

4. I am still not clear about the published aperture ratings of full frame lenses on a crop sensors. Should they be included in the crop factor?(are the F stop ratings the same for both size sensors since the crop sensor only gathers part of the rated light)?

5. I would like to see a hybrid DSLR which I guess the 80D is close to being since the focusing is done on the sensor. It would have a prism viewfinder and without the mirror.

6. I do not like electronic viewfinders, it is very hard to track something with that blurred image, there is a lag and of course "rolling shutter" distortion.

So depending on what you use the camera for, I personally like the feel of the DSLR, I would not want a EVF, I would not want to use "adapters" for lenses. I think the 80D is good choice, my other choice would be the Nikon D500 or D7500, just not for video.

I just purchased the 80D with the new 70-300 ii lens, and while birds in flight or birds at a distance are still very poor quality and really tough to get with this set up, in general its not a bad choice. 

The Nikon D500 and the Nikon 200-500 lens would be a great set up.

14 REPLIES 14

"Well, they were good then too."

When was when?  Canon is much better and responsive today than it was in 1980.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"Well, they were good then too."

When was when?  Canon is much better and responsive today than it was in 1980.

"When" was when the 60D came out. Sorry if I didn't make that clear.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

"Canon is much better and responsive today than it was in 1980."

Canon today is a model for how companies should behave.  Not so much in the early years. But, hey, what doesn't get better with age? Smiley Very Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

@Robodot wrote:

I want to apologize to the person that was going to "pull the trigger" on an 80d. It deserves a better answer than the one I gave "I'm just sayin"

I was referring to the changes that are hopefully around the corner, if you dont want to wait, it is a good camera, I think.

1. There may be a 90D

This is the nature of technology. There is (hopefully) always going to be another model. If a product line is being discontinued or a company is going out of business... that's when there might not be another model -- but that's probably when you don't want to buy a product.

Over the years, I've learned... if you need it, buy it (or rent it if you think you only need it once).  Waiting it out (for cameras) translates to missed photo opportunities.  If you are happy with current gear then maybe you dont need a new camera (in that case it's more of a want than a need.)

I waited on an upgrade based on a lot of rumors of a new upgraded product that was going to be relaced in a few months.  It didn't happen.  But after a few months, the rumors were that it was going to be just a few months more.  After a while, you've waited so long that you think surely it's gotta be soon - so you keep waiting.  This went on for two years.  I should have just purchased that camera sooner.

4. I am still not clear about the published aperture ratings of full frame lenses on a crop sensors. Should they be included in the crop factor?(are the F stop ratings the same for both size sensors since the crop sensor only gathers part of the rated light)?

For DSLRs, the focal length is the focal length and the focal ratio is the focal ratio. No conversion is needed to account for crop-factor.

There's this massive confusion because you'll photographers and articles that talk about multiplying the focal length by the crop factor to get the new focal length. There's a big difference between focal length and "angle of view". Focal length does not change just because a camera has a smaller sensor. A 100mm lens is still a 100mm lens. The "angle of view" might be narrower because the sensor is smaller (more of the image spills off the sides) -- but that's it. If you were doing math based on the physics of light and optics, you'd need to do that math based on true focal lengths and true focal ratios.

You can shoot an image with a full-frame camera, crop in on the center to reduce the dimensions by 1.6x and get exactly the same results.

5. I would like to see a hybrid DSLR which I guess the 80D is close to being since the focusing is done on the sensor. It would have a prism viewfinder and without the mirror.

The camera has Canon's Dual-Pixel CMOS AF (basically an on-sensor variant of phase-detect AF) but only uses this when in live-view or video modes. When shooting through the viewfinder (the traditional way to use a DSLR), the reflex mirror is down and the shutter is closed. This means it isn't possible to use the Dual-Pixel CMOS AF in that mode. The camera uses the phase-detect AF sensors located on the floor of the camera.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

A bird in hand is worth two in the bush. The 80D is an oustanding camera. Its a general purpose camera that does everything well.

There is a lot speculation about what might be coming from Canon but until we see it its simply speculation. Also there is no garantee that a new model will be as good as the old model. Canon does do a good job of incrementing spects on new models but it may not be the specs you are looking for.

Announcements