cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are You Interested In Purchasing An 80D?

Robodot
Enthusiast

I want to apologize to the person that was going to "pull the trigger" on an 80d. It deserves a better answer than the one I gave "I'm just sayin"

I was referring to the changes that are hopefully around the corner, if you dont want to wait, it is a good camera, I think.

1. There may be a 90D

2. Mirrorless cameras are a great idea but there are very few good native lenses (I believe native lenses work best on crop sensors). The bodies are to small to hold, some issues with getting a quick plate attached with the narrow body, full frame is not the holy grail and I do not like the EVF for outdoor wildlife.

3. Canon is not the same as it was when I purchased my 60D.

4. I am still not clear about the published aperture ratings of full frame lenses on a crop sensors. Should they be included in the crop factor?(are the F stop ratings the same for both size sensors since the crop sensor only gathers part of the rated light)?

5. I would like to see a hybrid DSLR which I guess the 80D is close to being since the focusing is done on the sensor. It would have a prism viewfinder and without the mirror.

6. I do not like electronic viewfinders, it is very hard to track something with that blurred image, there is a lag and of course "rolling shutter" distortion.

So depending on what you use the camera for, I personally like the feel of the DSLR, I would not want a EVF, I would not want to use "adapters" for lenses. I think the 80D is good choice, my other choice would be the Nikon D500 or D7500, just not for video.

I just purchased the 80D with the new 70-300 ii lens, and while birds in flight or birds at a distance are still very poor quality and really tough to get with this set up, in general its not a bad choice. 

The Nikon D500 and the Nikon 200-500 lens would be a great set up.

14 REPLIES 14

farzann
Contributor

Oh! 80D is awesome!

Just got one recently.

Check this for shots and unboxing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cp2bjpK2ZIw

I think the 80D is best in class. 

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

@Robodot wrote:

I am still not clear about the published aperture ratings of full frame lenses on a crop sensors. Should they be included in the crop factor?(are the F stop ratings the same for both size sensors since the crop sensor only gathers part of the rated light)?

The numbers on ALL lenses denote the physical focal lengths and apertures - and those do not change.  HOWEVER, what the sensor captures from a lens depends on the sensor size, and that concept is dealt with by the term Equivalence.  For an explanation of Equivalence see the DPREVIEW article:

https://www.dpreview.com/articles/2666934640/what-is-equivalence-and-why-should-i-care

So, in brief, what the sensor captures from a lens will be as per what is written on the lens if the sensor is a "FF" 35mm unit. For a Canon APS-C sensor the reduced size of the sensor means that it will capture less and that results in a "telephoto effect",  because the sensor is not getting the whole information from the curvature of the lens bundle.  Thus to get an idea of what (for example) an APS-C sensor will "see" for ANY lens, no matter if it is an EF, EF-S or EF-M lens you would multiply the values on the lens by a factor of 1.6.  AGAIN,  the lens hasn't changed but what the sensor receives has.  Although it is generally described in terms of the focal length, it is a more accurate and honest statement to express it as a changed Field of View, but that is not the protocol that lens makers use.

So any crop factor lens will have a disadvantage at the wide angle, but an advantage the telephoto end.  Not because the lens is actually zooming in closer, (the image is simply cropped) but because there will likely be more sensor pixels for that cropped area compared to a FF image cropped to an equivalent FoV.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"The Nikon D500 and the Nikon 200-500 lens would be a great set up."

So, why didn't you buy it instead? Smiley Indifferent

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"4. I am still not clear about the published aperture ratings of full frame lenses on a crop sensors. Should they be included in the crop factor?(are the F stop ratings the same for both size sensors since the crop sensor only gathers part of the rated light)?"

Yes the f-ratio is the same. The actual focal length of the lens is unchanged, as is its aperture. These things can not be changed simply by using the lens on a different body. The big misconception about crop factor is, it does not crop anything. Nothing is "cropped". Equivalent Focal Length is a more accurate term. As a matter of fact most manufacturers use Equivalent Focal Length in favor of the term crop factor.

EB

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"1. There may be a 90D"

There might be a there might not.  But we live in the here and now.  How many great shots are you missing and fun by waiting for something that may never happen?  Buy it now and use it now!

EB

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"3. Canon is not the same as it was when I purchased my 60D."

?????????????? Smiley Frustrated What do you mean?

EB

You are right.  They have better performing cameras, fantastic lenses, and their service is really great!!

@CaliforniaDream wrote:

You are right.  They have better performing cameras, fantastic lenses, and their service is really great!!

Well, they were good then too. But I thought they made a large mistake by leaving autofocus microadjustment off of the 60D.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements