cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apeture and Shutter priority not working

CraackJackFlash
Contributor

I've been shooting manual since getting my Canon 5D mark III and 60D cameras. TBut tday I'm trying out a friends Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L lens where the apeture will be changing with focal length for a sporting even and don't want to miss a thing so thought it would be a good time to try Apeture or Shutter priority, which both work effortslessly with my 60D but everything is VERY over exposed on the 5D in either of those priority settings. Is there something that I may have overlooked in one of the 5D's menus???

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

@CraackJackFlash wrote:

............ but everything is VERY over exposed on the 5D in either of those priority settings. Is there something that I may have overlooked in one of the 5D's menus???

The first thing I would check is the Exposure Compensation. 

Mike Sowsun

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Without knowing more info about your camera and exposure settings it is impossible to say what the issue.  We can only speculate, and tell you possibilities, things to check.

The first thing i would check would be the ISO setting.  Is it fixed, or AUTO?  Check metering mode.  Evaluative metering works great for sports action.

I shoot most action shots in Manual mode, with ISO set to AUTO.  This gives me a constant shutter speed, and a “constant” aperture setting.  Of course, depending upon your aperture setting at 100mm, it may change as you zoom out to 400m

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks kindly for your advice, Waddizzle. I will look into your suggestions this weekend

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

@CraackJackFlash wrote:

............ but everything is VERY over exposed on the 5D in either of those priority settings. Is there something that I may have overlooked in one of the 5D's menus???

The first thing I would check is the Exposure Compensation. 

Mike Sowsun

"The first thing I would check is the Exposure Compensation."

The first, first thing I would do is reset the camera.  This puts you back to square one.  Whenever something goes awry and you don't know why, it is good to get back to a known condition.  Reset it and try again.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thanks kindly for your advice, ebiggs1. I will look into your suggestion this weekend

Thanks kindly for your advice, Mike. I will look into your suggestions this weekend

I'm embarrased to say, I didn't even know about exposure compensation until now, and had to look up how to change it. I'm guessing its something you only use in priority modes, or, I just wan't payin attention, but both modes are now working as they should...THANK YOU, Mike!

Announcements