cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aperture priority for shooting video, Lazy or smart ?

StevieGMovies
Contributor

Disclaimer = Noob. 

Shooting video in aperture priority mode. Is this a good place to start ? 

I'm thinking with my shutter speed already determined by the frame rate of the video (double the frame rate for cinematic motion blur) that as long as i establish if i want a sharp or blurry background / foreground it narrows down the other elements that i need to take into account to get a well exposed video. So with shutter and aperture pretty much set all i need to focus on is ISO.

I'm learning the ropes to shoot music video's for my record label so i'm pretty much stuck on using 25fps (UK PAL)

Thoughts on this ? 

I won't list my camera i'd rather leave this a a general rule for any camera with aperture priority mode. 

Please don't be the guy who tells me to go and read the manual, Or use manual mode or nothing, That's what i usually get in this forum. I'm a beginner and looking for ideas on how to grow at my own pace with the HELP of more experianced users. 

13 REPLIES 13

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Lazy or smart?  Lazy.  I do not need to be the one to tell you to read the manual. 

Did you know why using a shutter speed that is double the frame rate does not give you "cinematic motion," whatever that might meant to you?  Have you ever heard of "shutter angle" before?  It is a way of describing shutter speed in a video camera.

For example, using a shutter speed that is "double the frame rate" corresponds to a shutter angle of 180 degrees.  Have you ever seen the beach landing scene in the opening of "Saving Private Ryan"?  It has a different type of "cinematic motion" to it, doesn't it?

The beach landing scenes to "Saving Private Ryan" were not filmed at "double the frame rate."  The camera director used a much higher shutter speed than the frame rate, one which was so fast that it capture no motion blur.  

You have much to learn, my friend.  You need to first become a good photographer before you can become a good videographer or cinematographer.  

Lazy or smart?  Lazy.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

"Have you ever heard of "shutter angle" before?  It is a way of describing shutter speed in a video camera."

I have heard of it, call it 180 degrees if you like, I'll keep it simple and if i know i'm shooting at 25 fps then my shutter speed needs to be 50 (double). 

"The beach landing scenes to "Saving Private Ryan" were not filmed at "double the frame rate."  The camera director used a much higher shutter speed than the frame rate, one which was so fast that it capture no motion blur. "

I did not know that so thanks for the heads up. i might check it out 

"You have much to learn, my friend.  You need to first become a good photographer before you can become a good videographer or cinematographer.  

Lazy or smart?  Lazy."

I do have much to learn i agree. That's why i'm here !

Feel free to suggest any tips on how i can fine tune this aperture priority shooting for video.

Lazy is fine with me if it's a more efficiant way of getting the results i need. 

"Feel free to suggest any tips on how i can fine tune this aperture priority shooting for video."

Lighting and shooting condition can vary widely.  YOU need to gain the experience to figure it out for yourself.  No one can teach you experience, my friend.  You have to work for it.  You have already shown that you do know even know the difference between the [Shutter] button and the {Video Start / Stop] button.  

@Waddizzle wrote:

"You have already shown that you do know even know the difference between the [Shutter] button and the {Video Start / Stop] button."

HAHA - NO - If you think that then you clarly did not understand my situation !

Do not this forum to belittle new users to give yourself the feeling of being superior.

Nobody cares how good you thuink you are ! 

What i asked was when i assign the shutter button to record video how can i take a snap for custom white balance when in the same mode with all my settings in that mode. 

It's a simple question that you clearly do not have the answer to so maybe you don't know as much as you think you do my friend. 

Please feel free to have your say in the reply then kindly don't both to "help" me anymore.

Thanks 

@StevieGMovies wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

"You have already shown that you do know even know the difference between the [Shutter] button and the {Video Start / Stop] button."

HAHA - NO - If you think that then you clarly did not understand my situation !

Do not this forum to belittle new users to give yourself the feeling of being superior.

Nobody cares how good you thuink you are ! 

What i asked was when i assign the shutter button to record video how can i take a snap for custom white balance when in the same mode with all my settings in that mode. 

It's a simple question that you clearly do not have the answer to so maybe you don't know as much as you think you do my friend. 

Please feel free to have your say in the reply then kindly don't both to "help" me anymore.

Thanks 

The camera does not do that, and I told you to simply press the Shutter.  No one is trying to belittle or insult you.  I simply stated an abundantly clear fact.  Thanks, for proving my point.  Good Luck.

You do need to tell us which camera you have because some of Canon's DSLR's work differently when used in Video mode and aperture priority does not work. (it reverts to an Auto mode)   

Mike Sowsun

@MikeSowsun wrote:

You do need to tell us which camera you have because some of Canon's DSLR's work differently when used in Video mode and aperture priority does not work. (it reverts to an Auto mode)   

Fair point Mike. 

I have the canon m50 - 50mm lens with speed booster

The reason i chose not to mention the model was i knew i'd be getting replies telling me it's no good for video etc etc. I know it's got great at video but with my budget it seems like a pretty good beginners camera. that's another story anyway 🙂 

I think the M50 is one of the many Canon cameras that will not do Aperture Priority in Video mode.  I believe it only does Auto mode or manual mode when shooting Video.

Mike Sowsun

@MikeSowsun wrote:

https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/EOS/Noob-question-1-How-do-i-take-a-photo-after-setting-shutter-t... 

Did you see that thread?

ECC91F0D-2F8A-432C-8A3A-5E67E0A360C0.png

403BA0A8-10D0-473F-82A4-6042D2DAFCBD.png

Announcements