Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anybody else shoot the Moon?

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Anybody else shoot the Moon?

_52D4652-Edit-Edit.jpg

EOS 1D Mk IV with 600mm Sigma lens. f11, 1/400, ISO 400.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
23 REPLIES 23

Lot of CA there. Is this a Canon lens? Does the T3 have Chromatic Abberation correction? You might want to turn it on.

That is about the toughest shot you can do.  A bright light source behind some tree branches.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

That is about the toughest shot you can do.  A bright light source behind some tree branches.

I tried it, and blew it.  I got the focus on the branches, but not the Moon, which was overexposed.  I think the camera's metering system was fooled somewhat.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I did give the picture some more light to bring out the branches. This is how the picture really look.

IMG_3376.JPG

ebiggs1,

Did you see the replies, I have green and pink in the Moon, I will try again for a better shot.

pris796

Shooting the Moon through objects can be a tough dog.  Sometimes you ge tlucky.

_52D4661-Edit.jpg

But never forget one thing!  Great photos are made in post, not in the camera.  If you have two main most important things it is going to be even harder.  For instance twigs and the Moon, one or the other will suffer.

I am glad to help if you need any tips.

EB

ebiggs1,

Thanks

@ebiggs1 wrote:

_52D4661-Edit.jpg

But never forget one thing!  Great photos are made in post, not in the camera.  If you have two main most important things it is going to be even harder.  For instance twigs and the Moon, one or the other will suffer.

Great photo.  I think you need to level the horizon some, though.

@Waddizzle wrote:

@ebiggs1 wrote:

_52D4661-Edit.jpg

Normally I'm as much a stickler for level horizons as anybody is; but some pictures get away with it, and this is one of them. (As is your lighthouse picture that the weather man uses.)

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Normally I'm as much a stickler for level horizons as anybody is; but some pictures get away with it, and this is one of them. (As is your lighthouse picture that the weather man uses.)

Thanks.  I laughed at myself after I saw how the lighthouse was tilted after I posted it.  That is not the actual picture used by the news station, either, but one shot in the same continuous sequence. The posted shot is one I ran off just for the forums, and didn't a lot of post on it other than lens correction, contrast, and "Export".

The posted shot is color.  The station has a B&W photo, which has been straightened.  The sepia B&W treatment seems to make the storm clouds pop, which is probably why it sits behind the weatherman.

Announcements