Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anybody else shoot the Moon?

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

_52D4652-Edit-Edit.jpg

EOS 1D Mk IV with 600mm Sigma lens. f11, 1/400, ISO 400.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
23 REPLIES 23

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

One more boring Moon shot. This is a 150% crop, extreme crop, showing the detail of the Moon's surface. Just look how rough and irregular it is. Many, many mountains and valleys.
Canon 1D Mk IV with Sigma 600mm lens. f8, 1/500, ISO 400.

_52D4636-Edit.jpg

EB

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

Great shots, Ernie (and nice timing on that jet!)

I wasn't out this weekend.  I went on Friday for an outreach (but I typically never do astrophotography at an outreach event and I had the wrong scope for it anyway.  I had my larger 14" SCT -- it has a focal length of just over 3500mm and I'd have to take a 6 panel mosaic to get the moon with that scope.  Normally when I shoot the moon I use my refractor.

On thursday night I did take a moon photo (it wasn't full yet).  I was down at the observatory (not my own scopes) but I wasn't very happy with the seeing conditions.  It was really windy.  I was checking out a globular cluster (Messier 15 in Pegasus - see:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Messier_15) and I was watching a star near the edge of the field going sharp and fuzzy over and over again -- so I knew it would be a miserable night for imaging.    Anyway, I did shoot just one photo of the moon just for kicks and, as expected, it's not my sharpest image of the moon but was probably as good as it was going to get on that night.

IMG_2824.jpg

A better result could have been produced if I had taken several dozen shots and stacked them but that wasn't the goal for the evening.  

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

I did a three exposure stack but I didn't think it was any better than the single shot.  Here it is.

_52D4638_39_40HDR.jpg

EB

In spite of the weatherman's forecast of clear skies for the Super Moon, this is how the morning was.

_52D4462.jpg

It did clear up by the afternoon with only wisps of clouds here and there. The clouds stayed away while we shot the Moon.  It's better to be lucky then good!  Smiley Very Happy

EB

I took shots Friday, Saturday, and Sunday evenings, all from different locations.  Sunday, I was on Long Island Sound looking almost due East.  This means the Connecticut coast was to my left, Long Island to my right, and nothing but water directly in front of me.

Surprisingly, the Moon did not appear at the scheduled moonrise time.  Instead it slowly faded into existence about 10 minutes later.  This shot was taken about 15 minutes after the official moonrise, when the Moon could seen above the haze on the horizon.  There was a color gradient in the atmosphere near the horizon as the sun was setting.

This was shot with the EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM @ 100mm.  I was on a hill, about 100 feet above the water. 

3D8A0439.jpg

I hung around for an hour to catch an airplane, but never did.  Here's a black and white shot with a 7D2 and the Sigma 150-600mm.

3D8A0450.jpg

Plenty of airplanes in the air taking off and landing from NYCs two major airports, but no transits across the Moon.  I packed in after an hour.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Here's a color shot taken several hours after moonrise on Saturday night.  I had to wait for clouds to clear, and that was briefly.  I got lucky.  You can see how the left edge is not quite full yet.  Shot with a 6D and an EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM.

IMG_6911.jpg

Here's what it looked like half the time from sundown until well past midnight.  Most of the time it was hidden behind clouds.

IMG_6915.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

This is a Waning Gibbous. It is the start of the demise of our Super Moon. It will eventually turn into a Waning Crescent and than a New Moon. If you missed this Super Moon you are going to have to wait 18 years for another.

_D3X7255-Edit-Edit-Edit.jpg

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

_52D4652-Edit-Edit.jpg

EOS 1D Mk IV with 600mm Sigma lens. f11, 1/400, ISO 400.

Very nice. I just showed it to my wife Martha (also a photographer), and she agrees. That's not the first moon shot I've seen with a plane crossing it, but you managed to catch the plane in a particularly favorable position.

I didn't try (and don't plan to tonight either). All the moon shots I've ever taken were pretty routine. I'll leave it to those with more skill and patience than I have.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

pris796
Enthusiast

1/60

F/5.6

ISO 800

300 MM

T3

IMG_3376.JPG

pris796

Announcements