cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any chance that Canon releases a Canon R5p or R6p ?

SBK
Enthusiast

R5p ... p for photography

There should be many folks out there who, like me, only take still pictures and don't do video. I wouldn't mind not having to pay for all the video super-features that the R5 has. I don't need them.

Maybe Canon won't because there's not enough demand for such "simpler" version of the R5 ?

6 REPLIES 6

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Aren't most of the video features (which I would identify as features that aren't used when still photographying) software features?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

The basic design of mirrorless is a video camera that has been redesigned for improved still photography features (mechanical shutter added as a usable option in most cases, optimized resolution and electronic shutter for stills, feature set for stills) so they aren't going to save enough cost stripping the video features which would also add costsin marketing and distributing a second model.

My Canon XF-400 camcorder is able to also capture stills but it isn't a feature I ever plan to use.  It really didn't cost Canon anything to include that feature and some users may occasionally utilize it.

One other difference that tends to separate the two genres is most still cameras are biased towards being more weather resistant while video cams and camcorders are biased towards sufficient cooling for the additional heat created during extended video but generally at the cost of less weather resistance.  I have shot events in heavy rain with my 1DX series bodies but I wouldn't try that with my XF-400 and its forced air cooling system.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

John_SD
Whiz

@SBK wrote:

There should be many folks out there who, like me, only take still pictures and don't do video. I wouldn't mind not having to pay for all the video super-features that the R5 has. I don't need them.

Maybe Canon won't because there's not enough demand for such "simpler" version of the R5 ?

I would not expect Canon to develop a stills only R-series camera in this day and age. Most buyers seem to expect video capabilities. In fact, many seem to have almost no interest in photography and want the camers only for videos.

As it is, the company is hurting. I just saw on Canon Rumors that the RF 70-200 f4L  IS USM has just been pushed back yet again from a late January release to a mid March release. It was slated to come out at the end of this December. I am likely going to cancel my pre-order at this point. And you still can't get a EF to RF adapter. About every 6 weeks, you'll get a notification that it should be available in 6 weeks. 

@John_SD wrote:

@SBK wrote:

I would not expect Canon to develop a stills only R-series camera in this day and age. Most buyers seem to expect video capabilities. In fact, many seem to have almost no interest in photography and want the camers only for videos.

As it is, the company is hurting. I just saw on Canon Rumors that the RF 70-200 f4L  IS USM has just been pushed back yet again from a late January release to a mid March release. It was slated to come out at the end of this December. I am likely going to cancel my pre-order at this point. And you still can't get a EF to RF adapter. About every 6 weeks, you'll get a notification that it should be available in 6 weeks. 

Hang in there, man.  Stay on the back order lists.  Don't lose your place in line.  A major supplier of OEM parts to all of the major camera manufacturers just recently saw one of its' largest manufacturing sites burn to the ground.  

Product delays are not always the fault of the system integrator: a.k.a. Canon, Nikon, Sony etc.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Greetings Gents,

Wadizzle is correct, I was going to post about the fire which occurred the week before Halloween.  They are saying the plant might take 6 months to be rebuilt and that a manufacturing shortage for up to a year is possible.

Most of their chips are DAC and Pro Audio, but Canon, Sony and Nikon all relied upon thier technology for cameras.  

@SBK

I'd love a less video focused mirrorless body as well.  Something with more than 20 but less than 45MP would do me just fine, but its not in the cards,,,  at least for now.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

@Waddizzle wrote:

Hang in there, man.  Stay on the back order lists.  Don't lose your place in line.  A major supplier of OEM parts to all of the major camera manufacturers just recently saw one of its' largest manufacturing sites burn to the ground.  

Product delays are not always the fault of the system integrator: a.k.a. Canon, Nikon, Sony etc.

Well, that sucks. The proposed March release date will likely be impacted further. As the card isn't charged before shipment, I'll just hang tight for now. 

The good news is that I've read in two sources -- Digital Camera World and Canon Rumors -- that Sigma is going to start producing RF mount lenses in 2021. Rumors indicate that Sigma won't be modifying their Art lenses to fit RF, but rather will developing new glass for Canon RF shooters.  

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements