cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any chance for an update to the R?

Wandalynn
Enthusiast

I've been really happy with my EOS R for the past 2+ years and am not interested in the R6 (can't afford an R5) so am wondering if anyone thinks there's a chance Canon might make an R Mk ii. Not getting my hopes up but thought I'd ask. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@shadowsports wrote:

Actually you're not.

The R is the closest alternative to the 5D4 which I would have bought in a heartbeat if it had an articulating screen.

The touchbar, battery life, 4K crop and lack of dual slots were the only concerns that most enthusiasts had with the R.

Don't get me wrong, some of them are huge, but it was the next logical step to canons mirrorless evolution.  

The R5 and 6 don't meet my needs, but I don't knock what might be right for others.  If they make someone happy then go for it.

The wait now for what will be Canon's 4th gen mirrorless has only given me more time to save for the transition to RF glass.  No problem going f2.8  across the board now.  But I won't pull the trigger until Canon releases something that will turn on 100% of the time and won't catch "fire" above 73*, or fail to run even once when I really need it to. 

Hopefully that ship has sailed.  If you search google for "mirrorless cameras that overheat"..  guess who's at the top of the list.  So here I am waiting for 4th gen.              

It wouldn't be a terrible move to release an R mk II as a way to atone for the R5's supposed "issues" in the minds of those who believe what the internet is telling them. You know, that the R5 is filled with unforgiveable flaws that will ruin your life if you buy it. Anyway, I have the R5 and I love it. I'm not one to sit here and tell people how and where to use their gear but I see the R5 as a run and gun or vlogging camera for video. It's more of a hey, I can take pictures of this beautiful scene and record a high quality 8k video all in one magical device, yay! But, as a "video camera" I don't think Canon ever meant for it to replace a video camera many of which you can buy from Canon for a lot less than an R5 costs... People forget that Canon has a bunch of old school video cameras with the attached zooms and all that and they shoot 4k all day for like a $1,000. Fact remains though that an R mk II could be a camera for those people wanted more of a "video camera" hybrid camera. Now if their problem is with the overheating but they're not interested in video, and I could see that happening, well, they misunderstood the issues with the R5. It can shoot 20fps stills all day, no overheating.

The problem with an R mk II is I don't know how it can fit into the lineup because it will almost certainly have to be better than the R6, and seeing as the R is already really good it's tough to see how a new R could sensically replace the old R but still be an upgrade. But, maybe the R6 was a screwup anyway and can be ignored... I dunno. It looked good on paper to bring the 1Dx sensor to people but in reality it was a miss and the R6 is kind of a worthless addition to the lineup. In my view the R6 is more like an RP mk II and the R5 is the R we should have had. I don't know if that makes sense but that is how I feel about it.

I think you're doing yourself a disservice not getting the R5 if you have the means, the IBIS will let you get crazy night shots especially with the RF 28-70 attached. I go around at night once in awhile and shoot at 400 ISO the whole time. It is razor sharp hand held at .5 seconds. It's not like you have to take 50 shots to do it either, 3 or 4 and one will be tack sharp and a few might be blurred by 1 or 2 pixels but still reasonably in focus considering you're talking about the sensor moving 3-6 microns. Honestly it is impressive, and while it may not be the defacto tour de force of epic technology, it's certainly better than anything I have ever used personally. 

If you are hoping Canon will drop the price I doubt it happens before the R1 releases. In the meantime you're stuck with the 6D II which I know is nowhere near either the R or the R5. When I finally got a job and could afford the R my 6D II was on eBay within days and I never looked back once. Never missed a thing about the 6D II. Compared to the R5 its like two different worlds or time periods like comparing cars from the 1950's to a Tesla. It's almost not even the same thing anymore. 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Canon Rumors is probably one of the better sites to get accurate speculation on what Canon will be releasing next

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thanks, I do watch Canon Rumors closely--it's a great resource! I might be alone in wanting an R upgrade, who knows.

Actually you're not.

The R is the closest alternative to the 5D4 which I would have bought in a heartbeat if it had an articulating screen.

The touchbar, battery life, 4K crop and lack of dual slots were the only concerns that most enthusiasts had with the R.

Don't get me wrong, some of them are huge, but it was the next logical step to canons mirrorless evolution.  There is a 2 year gap between the R and R6, completely different sensors too.  R has smaller pixel density and more detal, while the R6 has larger pixels with less detail but higher light capture capability with increased dynamic range.  Hard decision for sure, especially when it also includes 10MP less res. 

The R5 in 4K would have been an absolute winner, but Canon couldn't resist..  8K happened and with it came heat and $$$$ cost.  The R5 and 6 don't meet my needs, but I don't knock what might be right for others.  If they make someone happy then go for it.

The wait now for what will be Canon's 4th gen mirrorless has only given me more time to save for the transition to RF glass.  No problem going f2.8  across the board now.  But I won't pull the trigger until Canon releases something that will turn on 100% of the time and won't catch "fire" above 73*, or fail to run even once when I really need it to. 

Hopefully that ship has sailed.  If you search google for "mirrorless cameras that overheat"..  guess who's at the top of the list.  So here I am waiting for 4th gen.              

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

@shadowsports wrote:

Actually you're not.

Don't get me wrong, some of them are huge, but it was the next logical step to canons mirrorless evolution.  

The R5 and 6 don't meet my needs, but I don't knock what might be right for others.  If they make someone happy then go for it.

It wouldn't be a terrible move to release an R mk II as a way to atone for the R5's supposed "issues" in the minds of those who believe what the internet is telling them. You know, that the R5 is filled with unforgiveable flaws that will ruin your life if you buy it. Anyway, I have the R5 and I love it. I'm not one to sit here and tell people how and where to use their gear but I see the R5 as a run and gun or vlogging camera for video. It's more of a hey, I can take pictures of this beautiful scene and record a high quality 8k video all in one magical device, yay! But, as a "video camera" I don't think Canon ever meant for it to replace a video camera many of which you can buy from Canon for a lot less than an R5 costs... People forget that Canon has a bunch of old school video cameras with the attached zooms and all that and they shoot 4k all day for like a $1,000. Fact remains though that an R mk II could be a camera for those people wanted more of a "video camera" hybrid camera. Now if their problem is with the overheating but they're not interested in video, and I could see that happening, well, they misunderstood the issues with the R5. It can shoot 20fps stills all day, no overheating.

The problem with an R mk II is I don't know how it can fit into the lineup because it will almost certainly have to be better than the R6, and seeing as the R is already really good it's tough to see how a new R could sensically replace the old R but still be an upgrade. But, maybe the R6 was a screwup anyway and can be ignored... I dunno. It looked good on paper to bring the 1Dx sensor to people but in reality it was a miss and the R6 is kind of a worthless addition to the lineup. In my view the R6 is more like an RP mk II and the R5 is the R we should have had. I don't know if that makes sense but that is how I feel about it.

I think you're doing yourself a disservice not getting the R5 if you have the means, the IBIS will let you get crazy night shots especially with the RF 28-70 attached. I go around at night once in awhile and shoot at 400 ISO the whole time. It is razor sharp hand held at .5 seconds. It's not like you have to take 50 shots to do it either, 3 or 4 and one will be tack sharp and a few might be blurred by 1 or 2 pixels but still reasonably in focus considering you're talking about the sensor moving 3-6 microns. Honestly it is impressive, and while it may not be the defacto tour de force of epic technology, it's certainly better than anything I have ever used personally. 

If you are hoping Canon will drop the price I doubt it happens before the R1 releases. In the meantime you're stuck with the 6D II which I know is nowhere near either the R or the R5. When I finally got a job and could afford the R my 6D II was on eBay within days and I never looked back once. Never missed a thing about the 6D II. Compared to the R5 its like two different worlds or time periods like comparing cars from the 1950's to a Tesla. It's almost not even the same thing anymore. 

@shawnphoto, thanks for your input. Yes, the R5 would be my choice but I just can't spend $4K on a camera. And you are absolutely correct about how would an R ii fit into the lineup. I've tried very hard to talk myself into the 20 MP of the R6 but the majority of my photography is basically small bugs (butterflies, dragonflies, bees, etc.) so most of the time I have to crop a shot significantly and am very picky about clarity. I can see where other photographers whose subjects are much larger would have no problem with 20 MP. My current combo of the R and the 100-400 L ii is a great one for me but I would like to have a second mirrorless, not another R though. I had a 6D ii before I got the R but decided that certain features on the R were so helpful for my type of photography that I sold the 6D ii, and never regretted it. I guess I'll just have to be patient and see what else Canon eventually comes up with. Or rent an R6 and see for myself.

@shadowsports. Well said. I agree.

John_SD
Whiz

@Wandalynn wrote:

I've been really happy with my EOS R for the past 2+ years and am not interested in the R6 (can't afford an R5) so am wondering if anyone thinks there's a chance Canon might make an R Mk ii. Not getting my hopes up but thought I'd ask. 

With the recent release of the R5 and R6, I personally see zero chance of an EOS R "update" in the form of a Mark II.  However, as others have noted, Canon Rumors is a trustworthy and reliable site. so keep your eyes on that. 

Announcements