cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another person upgrading 5D Mark ll and I need some advice

impatronus
Contributor

Hi! I need a new camera - my 5DII is experiencing technical difficulties and is telling me its time for a change. We have been together since it was first introduced and I have learned so much with it. I am not a professional - but need to shoot professional looking shots for my business and the 5DII definitley helped me do that - in addition to shooting anything and everything I wanted to capture. Today, I shoot a lot of macro -- portrait and landscape as well. Need to shoot products (accessories) in full detail as well as creative shots of the products while in use (fashion/lifestyle), both wide and portrait. I also just love to shoot things I see/like and will continue to do that too. I do not shoot video at the moment  - however, I need to begin immediately. I have some great lenses (macro/portrait/telephoto/wideangle/standard), which I will continue using. There has been so much advancement, including connectivity, which is extremely limited on the 5DII, I am not sure where to look. I want a camera that will continue to make me a better photographer, like my 5DII has to done up until now. I greatly appreciate all of the advice/guidance from the community!!

23 REPLIES 23

always had a canon and always will - I am not even considering a different brand. Regarding post/editing - adobe and I are BFFs. For now, I want to bring great shots to the computer - so I am limiting this inquiry to cameras. Thanks for the feedback!

@114470 wrote:

Glad to hear it impatronus as this is my first Canon camera ever so I'm in the process of learning what it takes to use this camera. Coming from using a Nikon, then point & shoot cameras. I wanted something more and to be allowed to use my own lenses of focal lengths.

As for the Canon R, I've seen and heard good and bad things about it. Price is one of those issues I must deal with as I'm cheap or just search for refurbished units. So in my option, if the "R" is on your list, I best wait a few years till the bugs are worded out and if you're considering the "R" best search for a lens adapter if you want to keep using those lenses you already have.

Good Luck with your search as I wish I had as many lenses as you currently do, But I'll have to start somewhere as this is a totally new system to me. But one thing is for sure, I'll not be using multi focal length zoom lenses all primes from here on out.

I think you're making a mistake to rule out zoom lenses. Zoom lens technology has improved considerably since your (and my) film Nikon days. It's frankly hard to justify the use of prime lenses anymore.

My wife and I, who are pretty well equipped, have, between us, exactly two prime lenses. And only one of them, Csnon's excellent 60mm macro, ever gets used.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

impatronus
Contributor
Wow- Thank you for such a thoughtful and detailed response!! I can’t wait to go see it/hold it/test it., using your comments as a guide.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I agree with Hank, and Robert, but I would definitely choose the 5D4 over the R."

Go with the 5D Mk IV.  It is the more "general use" version. And, that sounds like what you are wanting. As for using zoom lenses, zooms are where it at these days.  They are so good now, especially the two best in class Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Lens and it's big brother EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Lens, the need for a prime for IQ is gone.

I am glad you are getting up close and personal with PS and or LR.  It and the gear listed is the best photographic gear on the planet.

The only problem here is, if the photos are not good it is you not the gear!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

impatronus
Contributor
First- I want to thank everyone again for the detailed and comprehensive points of view. You really gave me a lot to consider. While I have not made a final decision, I am leaning towards the R. But my next step is to rent both of them. I know there will be a learning curve with the R- so I plan to rent that one first to give myself a bit more time to adjust. I will then add the 5DM4 and do a side by side comparison. I will post some feedback as I go through the process. I need to get the adapter as my test will be with my own lenses. I am thrilled to have this option and I hope it helps me to make the right decision.

EVF is good but drain out battery pretty fast.

@tmc784 wrote:

EVF is good but drain out battery pretty fast.

It is true that EVF drains battery but is not a huge factor since it's only activated when your eye is in position (looking through it).  Reports from real world experience are very positive on battery usage.  Canon has usually been conservative on their specifications. It appears battery usage is one of these.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

On paper : 5D Mark IV 900 shots, EOS R 350 shots.

I don't really want my photography being interupted during the trip. 

2nd battery!  Smiley Frustrated

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Pause taking important moment by pull out died battery and insert a fresh battery ?

Announcements