cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on a new camera?

Q-Mama
Contributor
I have had many AF issues with my 5D Mark III (two years old) and the service center said they fixed the issue, but the AF is awful and still doesn’t work right. Every other image is blurry.

I’ve read similar issues with AF in reviews on B&H and the Canon site. I thought about switching to a Mark IV, but reviews are saying many have AF issues, too. Ready to give up and switch brands...thinking Leica...

Any advice? I just want sharp images and a reliable camera.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Q-Mama wrote:
I have had many AF issues with my 5D Mark III (two years old) and the service center said they fixed the issue, but the AF is awful and still doesn’t work right. Every other image is blurry.

I’ve read similar issues with AF in reviews on B&H and the Canon site. I thought about switching to a Mark IV, but reviews are saying many have AF issues, too. Ready to give up and switch brands...thinking Leica...

I have both a Mark III and a Mark IV and have never had any such issues.

As for the Leica: If you're rich enough, go for it! Methinks it's designed for those who put image ahead of functionality. If the shoe fits, wear it.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17

@Q-Mama wrote:

I have both a Mark III and a Mark IV and have never had any such issues.

As for the Leica: If you're rich enough, go for it! Methinks it's designed for those who put image ahead of functionality. If the shoe fits, wear it.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

I have a 5DS R which is the high resolution variant built on the Mark III platform and the AF works fine.  I haven't experienced any focus issues with it and I use a variety of glass from a 17-40 F4 wide angle through 400 and 800mm fast primes.  It delivers sharp images and although it isn't quite as good as my 1DX II and III at tracking fast sports nothing else is in their class either for fast action.

Post a couple of the blurry images with exif data intact to the forum.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Can you post a sample of a blurry photo?  Could you include the exposure settings, AF mode, lens info, etc?  Post enough information for someone to reproduce your issue.

Thanks, ahead of time.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Q-Mama
Contributor
Thank you! I did this on another thread here and it was determined the issue needed Canon repair. The AF has been “fixed” twice by Canon. I also had issues with my flash, I used it once and it no longer works. Ready to give up on Canon, sadly.

I used a rented camera (non Canon) and the photos were amazing... I thought maybe I lost my touch for photography but it was the camera!

@Q-Mama wrote:
Thank you! I did this on another thread here and it was determined the issue needed Canon repair. The AF has been “fixed” twice by Canon. I also had issues with my flash, I used it once and it no longer works. Ready to give up on Canon, sadly.

I used a rented camera (non Canon) and the photos were amazing... I thought maybe I lost my touch for photography but it was the camera!

" I brought the camera with me to Banff on a trip and it was accidentally dropped by my friend. "

Oh, man.  I am sorry to hear about that last part.  Let Canon know that it was dropped.  Good Luck!

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

"I thought maybe I lost my touch for photography but it was the camera!"

I am not convinced! Sorry, but thousands upon thousands of 5D Mk III and Mk IV create perfectly sharp images by the millions every day. The fact yo uhave an issue puts the overwhelming odds that you are the factor. Now of course you need to send the camera to Canon for a C&C.  However, when it comes back and images are still not sharp ypu need to look elsewhere.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Q-Mama
Contributor
Thank you! They have “fixed” it twice for the same issue and it still isn’t working properly. I’ve paid each time for repairs. Agree, I may need to look elsewhere! Appreciate the response.

"Agree, I may need to look elsewhere!"

I am afraid you misunderstand. I am not trying to be rude but the "elsewhere" I refer to is you.  The best answer after Canon has looked at it twice, you say, the most logical, is your own technique and/or procedures. Sorry but that is where you need to start. The overwhelming evidence supports the ability of the 5D series of cameras. Remember no one gets every shot Nobody!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@Q-Mama wrote:
Thank you! They have “fixed” it twice for the same issue and it still isn’t working properly. 

I don't own a 5D Mark III, but I suggest you go back to square one. If you aren't your own worst critic, you need to be. Assume you are the one at fault and you can't go far wrong. Review all your photos with a critical eye. Ask yourself, "How did I screw up this shot  and why?"

Download the full user guide if you haven't already. Study up on the section that discusses AF, and read it over several times. Practice with various AF focal points, scenarios and zone settings. Get that down cold. Start with still images. Then move on to subjects in motion. Best of luck. 

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements