cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice choosing between Canon EOS R or RP - Been playing with the EOS for little under a month now.

cristomike2
Apprentice

So as the title says, i've had the Canon EOS RP for little under a month now. I was lucky to punch in at around 1650 USD for the body + the 24-105 Kit Lens (which is amazing).

Now, i dont have time, to wait for another Pro body, that might come or not come by the end of this or start of next year. I've been giving the opportunity to upgrade to the Canon EOS R for roughly 500 USD more (with the Lens kit) and i'm there for looking for advices to wether i should do it or not.

Just throwing some informations out there:

- I'll primarily be using the camera in a photostudio setup, taking pictures of colorfull objects.- Not planning to shoot in extreme situations, where i'll have to crank up the ISO to achieve a good exposure.- The reason i might consider the upgrade is, because i'd like to make it my primary camera for the next period of 3-5 years at the very least.

The talk about the Dynamic range on the EOS RP vs the R is also something that i getting and making me think the upgrade for 500 USD is justifiable, specially if i'm planing to use it for atleast 3-5 years. What do you think?

20 REPLIES 20

John_SD
Whiz

If it were me, I'd hang on the the RP for now and make do with it. I would not sink any money into the R, with its much maligned touch bar, that Canon to its credit has abandoned. I don't expect we'll ever see it on another Canon camera. The R5 and R6 are on the horizon. Wait for one of those before making a final decision. 

@John_SD wrote:

If it were me, I'd hang on the the RP for now and make do with it. I would not sink any money into the R, with its much maligned touch bar, that Canon to its credit has abandoned. I don't expect we'll ever see it on another Canon camera. The R5 and R6 are on the horizon. Wait for one of those before making a final decision. 

And, when the R5 or R6 cameras are eventually released, do you think the OP should upgrade to one of those bodies?  If so, why should the OP upgrade to either one of them?  If the OP decided to upgrade, then what happens to the EOS RP?

I do not think the RP can fully meet the needs of the OP's use case, primarily because of the smaller battery.  

The OP would be wise to keep several spare batteries on hand.  These would need to be fully charged, of course.  How long do you think it would take to recharge 3-4 batteries?  It would take at least 3-4 hours.  Charging batteries for the next day's shooting session is a task that would need to be performed on a daily basis, which would be rather awkward.  

"I'll primarily be using the camera in a photostudio setup, taking pictures of colorfull objects"

I find the Touch Bar to be a non-issue.  I get the impression that most shooting will be from a tripod. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

@John_SD wrote:

And, when the R5 or R6 cameras are eventually released, do you think the OP should upgrade to one of those bodies?  If so, why should the OP upgrade to either one of them?  If the OP decided to upgrade, then what happens to the EOS RP?

I do not think the RP can fully meet the needs of the OP's use case, primarily because of the smaller battery.  

The OP would be wise to keep several spare batteries on hand.  These would need to be fully charged, of course.  How long do you think it would take to recharge 3-4 batteries?  It would take at least 3-4 hours.  Charging batteries for the next day's shooting session is a task that would need to be performed on a daily basis, which would be rather awkward.  

"I'll primarily be using the camera in a photostudio setup, taking pictures of colorfull objects"

I find the Touch Bar to be a non-issue.  I get the impression that most shooting will be from a tripod. 

Honestly, with the R5/R6 on the horizon, I wouldn't advise anyone to purchase an R now. That camera may have its fans, but seems to have many more detractors. The touch bar is a disaster, which is why you'll never see it on a Canon camera again. 

So my advice stands. Stick with the RP for now, and wait for the R5 or R6, then evaluate. if he is dead set on an R, he should still wait for the R5/R6 as the old R will likely be sold at a very nice discount. It would be a shame for him to upgrade to the R now, only to regret it come later in the year. 

@John_SD wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

@John_SD wrote:

Honestly, with the R5/R6 on the horizon, I wouldn't advise anyone to purchase an R now. That camera may have its fans, but seems to have many more detractors. The touch bar is a disaster, which is why you'll never see it on a Canon camera again. 

So my advice stands. Stick with the RP for now, and wait for the R5 or R6, then evaluate. if he is dead set on an R, he should still wait for the R5/R6 as the old R will likely be sold at a very nice discount. It would be a shame for him to upgrade to the R now, only to regret it come later in the year. 

I do not think you fully understood the OP's question, either.  

The Touch Bar might be a disaster in your opinion, but it becomes a moot point with the camera mounted on a tripod.  I would still like to know what advantage an R5 or R6 would offer over the RP, which the R cannot provide.  

BTW, you do realize that you're arguing for the OP to own two cameras, or be forced to sell off the RP.  How much would that cost over the long haul?  I think it would cost significant more than the $500 upgrade being offered right now for an EOS R.

What about the inconvenience of having to recharge at least 3-4 batteries every night?  If I had to charge that many batteries every night, I would want to have extra chargers on hand, for an additional added cost.  How much would the extra batteries chargers cost compared to he cost of AC adapter for the EOS R?  

To me, this is a no-brainer.  Go for the upgrade to the EOS R, and pick up an AC Adapter.

Okay, as it turns out the EOS RP does have a AC Adpater option from Canon.  You need the ACK-E18 AC Adapter and the  DR-E18 Coupler kit.  You can buy them separately or as a kit.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1274811-REG/canon_0073c002_ac_e6n_ac_adapter_and.html/qa 

Buying this AC Adapter kit would be a far less costly option than upgrading to the R, R5, R6, or another future R body for that matter.  The kit is not listed to work with the RP, although a B&H expert says it does.  You would need the cutout in the battery door for the cable to exist the battery compartment.

Davoud
Enthusiast

In my view the RP has better ergonomics than the R, and the image quality is as good as the R (or practically any other digital camera). I had use of an R for a week before I decided to buy the RP. I see no deficits in the RP dynamic range, and colors are excellent. You understand it's not for action sports, of course. I have found it to be rugged enough for field nature photography. But why can't you wait to see what the R5 will be like?

Below: EOS RP with EF 100mm ƒ2.8 macro lens.

Polites peckius, Peck's Skipper 190904 1+2.jpg

@Davoud wrote:

In my view the RP has better ergonomics than the R, and the image quality is as good as the R (or practically any other digital camera). I had use of an R for a week before I decided to buy the RP. I see no deficits in the RP dynamic range, and colors are excellent. You understand it's not for action sports, of course. I have found it to be rugged enough for field nature photography. But why can't you wait to see what the R5 will be like?

Below: EOS RP with EF 100mm ƒ2.8 macro lens.

Why, not?  Because the offer on the table is to upgrade to an EOS R now.  That is the issue.  The question being asked is whether or not accepting the upgrade to an EOS R is a good idea.  

I thought it was a good idea because the RP did not seem to have AC Adapter, which could mean needing to have several spare batteries on hand every day.  Buying several batteries and chargers is a significant cost, and recharging them every night is a hassle that would become a nuisance within a week.

However, I have found that there is a Canon AC Adapter kit that works with the EOS RP.  

Why, not?  Because the offer on the table is to upgrade to an EOS R now.  That is the issue.  The question being asked is whether or not accepting the upgrade to an EOS R is a good idea.

I thought that I addressed the question in giving my opinion that the RP is as good a camera as the R, the implication being that to "upgrade" to the R @ $500 is not a bargain. Further, I believe that asking why the OP can't wait for the R5 was a reasonalble one. Remember, it's all opinion!

"Remember, it's all opinion!"

An better than buying an AC adapter.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@Davoud wrote:

I thought that I addressed the question in giving my opinion that the RP is as good a camera as the R, the implication being that to "upgrade" to the R @ $500 is not a bargain. Further, I believe that asking why the OP can't wait for the R5 was a reasonalble one. Remember, it's all opinion!

"In my view the RP has better ergonomics than the R, and the image quality is as good as the R (or practically any other digital camera). I had use of an R for a week before I decided to buy the RP. I see no deficits in the RP dynamic range, and colors are excellent. You understand it's not for action sports, of course. I have found it to be rugged enough for field nature photography. But why can't you wait to see what the R5 will be like?"

No, you did not address the question directly.  Your advice was to wait for a better camera to come along, and considering upgrading to that.  You cast another vote for buying two cameras.  ???   "You have spoken."

Announcements