cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adjusting the AF "hunting" when shooting video!!

ronnygonsalves
Apprentice

I know this has probably been asked a million times, but recently during a video shoot, I had the lens on AF. When two people were on screen, I'd tap the face I wanted to be in focus. Then after about 3 seconds, the little rectangle would drift and switch over to the other face even though the first person was still talking.

Is there a way to keep it on AF but not have keep hunting like this? Also, there was one point when I zoomed out to a little bit of a wider shot, the rectangle became much larger which I really liked because it told me that both people were in focus. But it never stayed that way for long - it'd just switch back to the little rectangle. Is there a way to adjust AF so the box stays larger?

1 REPLY 1

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@ronnygonsalves wrote:

I know this has probably been asked a million times, but recently during a video shoot, I had the lens on AF. When two people were on screen, I'd tap the face I wanted to be in focus. Then after about 3 seconds, the little rectangle would drift and switch over to the other face even though the first person was still talking.

Is there a way to keep it on AF but not have keep hunting like this? Also, there was one point when I zoomed out to a little bit of a wider shot, the rectangle became much larger which I really liked because it told me that both people were in focus. But it never stayed that way for long - it'd just switch back to the little rectangle. Is there a way to adjust AF so the box stays larger?

Which camera are you using?  Are you using Movie Servo AF?

If you are recording people who are talking, does that mean they are fairly stationary, not moving around?

It sounds like the camera is looking for subject movement when none exists.  For now, I would say that you would probably want to disable AF tracking if the camera and subjects are relatively stationary. Using AF tracking is best used in shooting scenarios when the distance between the subject and camera is can change.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements