cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Actuations/Snaps

mjschocken
Enthusiast

Recently I read that cameras have a limit for the number of actuations/snaps you generate.  I have an 80D and use it a lot.  I'm wondering about the following.  First, how many actuations, on average, can I expect to get before I have problems with the camera?  Second, what kind of problems can I expect if I exceed the lifetime actuations of the shutter?  Third, is there anyway to know how many actuations I already have?  That is, is there an ongoing tally that I can access via the menu?  Fourth, on average, how long does a camera "last" if the actuations are ~100,000 per year (which is an estimate of my own use)? Finally, if actuations are causing problems, can the camera be repaired rather than replaced? 

8 REPLIES 8

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Depending upon how you number the files in the camera, you can get a pretty good idea from the current file number in use.

As far as how long will the shutter last goes, all Canon DSLRs have a published specification.  That is not a hard rule.  It is based upon average performance.  Your shutter may fail next week, or it may go for another decade, or two.  Just enjoy the camera, because there is absolutely nothing that you can do change how long the shutter may, or may not, last.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I found the following information on line:

“Canon has given the 80D a shutter durability rating of 100,000. This figure matches the two predecessors and fit within this model's overall position in the Canon lineup.

Model Shutter Durability Rating
Canon EOS 80D 100,000
Canon EOS 70D 100,000
Canon EOS 60D 100,000
Canon EOS 7D Mark II 200,000
Canon EOS 7D 150,000
Canon EOS 6D 100,000
Canon EOS 5Ds / 5Ds R 150,000
Canon EOS 5D Mark III 150,000
Canon EOS-1D X Mark II 400,000

These specs do not mean that your shutter will fail right after crossing the spec threshold, but are provided to give a very rough estimate of the shutter's durability.”

Great information.  Thanks.  I'll also assume that the shutter can be replaced when it's worn out.  Good reason to upgrade at that point and have a backup camera (80D).  

@mjschocken wrote:

Great information.  Thanks.  I'll also assume that the shutter can be replaced when it's worn out.  Good reason to upgrade at that point and have a backup camera (80D).  

Shutter replacement isn't a do-it-yourself task, but it's usually pretty straightforward and doesn't cost a fortune. And a replacement shutter, assuming it's a factory original part and is installed by a Canon service center, has the same life expectancy as the original shutter did.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"...the actuations are ~100,000 per year (which is an estimate of my own use)?"

That is a lot. Even for a guy like me that did that stuff for a living, that is a lot.  You need a professional camera if you are doing that much work.  1Dx Mk II is in your future.  You know that said, with the high speed shutters available today shutter count is going to the moon.  Shooting 14 to 16 fps doesn't take long to rack up a lot of count.  I know of 1 series cameras that have well over 1/2 a million actuations and are still going.  Replacing the shutter on a camera like a 1 series is not a big deal.  Have it done by CPS (CPS is a great source and a person in your case should become a member, ASAP) and all will be good.  They used to be around $300 bucks.

In the beginning we used to shoot 3 to 4 rolls of film and gave the bride about 20 shoots. I used two cameras normally.  Now we use two 1 series and as many as five Rebels for a typical wedding.  Shooting from 1500 to 2000 shots. So time and actuation requirments change.

I was at a Royals game recently and got to talking with one of the pit photographers, he had 5000 shots by the third inning.  I think he was using three 1 series cameras.

"I have an 80D and use it a lot"

In reality you have a consumer grade designed camera that you are asking it to do professional level work.  I would use the 80D until it quits and buy a 1Dx Mk II next time.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thanks for your reply.  I'll keep your advice in mind.  Turns out, I decided to buy a 7D Mark II and probably get the 80D refurbished as I am lately also having an issue with autofocusing on flying birds.  My only real interest is wildlife photography and they say the 7D Mark II is the best of the Canons for that application.  Having said that, I had no problem with the 80D for the last 16 months.  I just didn't want to buy another one of the exact same type while the first is being refurbished if that's the route I go. 

One correction.  I meant that the 7D Mark II is best in Canon's class with respect to crop-frame cameras and wildlife photography.  I did start to read about the 1Dx Mark II full-frame camera and it is impressive.  Yes, as I evolve with wildlife photography, I may move towards a full-frame camera like the 1Dx Mark II.  Thanks, again. 

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

If it means anything to you and if memory serves me correctly, I think the last failure rate for Canon was 4%.  That means 96% exceed their reliability ratings.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements