cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accidental Lens Release

michaelgirman
Contributor

My 24-105L just fell off my 5D mkIII and rolled into the Seine.  The lens release button is way too sensitive and it is so easy to accidentally unlock without realizing it.  I went to twist the zoom ring and the lens rotated and dropped off.  Blogs are full of compaints of this occurance on mkii's.  

This is definitely a design flaw.  It's not user error.  The button should be relocated or made to require more force to release  or have a detent position.  

It's a shame that you have to gaffer tape a $2300 lens to a $2000 camera.  Be forewarned.  

184 REPLIES 184

"I hope Canon are wiser..."

I do too and they leave it as is.  I do not want it one tiny bit more difficult to change lenses. If Canon has features you don't like and can't seem to over come, try a different brand.  I like it the way it is.  Most of us do that is why your concern is falling on deaf ears.

You admit you are aware of the "so called" problem, yet you still succumb to it.  Alter your technique!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

"I'm sure almost everyone except the most thick-headed would agree that a well designed lens mount system would prevent accidental release of the lens in all but the most violent and freakish circumstances."

ebiggs1. What camera and version do you like the way it is? 5D mark 3 or the 1DX. Two different designs which one do you want Canon to be wiser about?

I don't have a 1Dx or a 1Dx Mk II but I have all the rest.  Excluding the Rebels and xxD, that is.  No 6D either.  I still have my 1D dinosaur from the stone age.  

I have owned Rebels in the past but I have sold or given away all of them.

EB

@Ron2 wrote:
You still avoiding answering the question. Is that summary correct of the answers given multiple times

If you're asking when is there going to be a recall.  There is no way to answer your question without concurring with its' false premise.  Pushing and releasing the button does not unlock the lens.  Period.  Releasing the lens requires what engineers refer to as a "double action".  You must hold the button, and then begin to rotate the lens.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Canon are onto it, every thing we thought was needed and more, has been implemented on the Canon 1Dx mark 2 the latest pro level DSRL from Canon
The 1DX is exclusively a pro camera. It is interesting that Canon see the importance of this

1Canon 1Dx.jpg

Boy, some of the guys on this site are going to go ballistic when they find out how much harder it to push this button.  It's just not right that the inconvenience they'll suffer because of  this new design will come at the expense that lenses can't accidentally be unlocked.  

"Canon are onto it, every thing we thought was needed and more, has been implemented on the Canon 1Dx mark 2 the latest pro level DSRL from Canon"

Really?  My 1Ds Mk III

IMG_0717.jpg

EB

Great you got the point at last. By the way you said if canon every released these features again you would fight it. I don't hear you fighting

Hey, Ron2 - I wouldn't be too sure that some of these guys got the point.  Lots of fanboys who think of the Canon brand as a religion and trolls that just want to argue.  One of my personal favorites is the guy who thinks that the lens release button is so big so you can change lenses with gloves on.  My other favorite is the guy who doesn't want any changes to the release button even if they result in an improvement.  
You gotta love it ...

Announcements