cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accidental Lens Release

michaelgirman
Contributor

My 24-105L just fell off my 5D mkIII and rolled into the Seine.  The lens release button is way too sensitive and it is so easy to accidentally unlock without realizing it.  I went to twist the zoom ring and the lens rotated and dropped off.  Blogs are full of compaints of this occurance on mkii's.  

This is definitely a design flaw.  It's not user error.  The button should be relocated or made to require more force to release  or have a detent position.  

It's a shame that you have to gaffer tape a $2300 lens to a $2000 camera.  Be forewarned.  

184 REPLIES 184

It's not so much a loyalty to a brand... it's annoyance with people who wont accept responsibility for their own actions or inattention.   

Sure, everyone occasionally makes a mistake.  But repsonsible people own their mistake.  They don't look for someone else to blame.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

@FloydSpellman wrote:

Hey, Ron2 - I wouldn't be too sure that some of these guys got the point.  Lots of fanboys who think of the Canon brand as a religion and trolls that just want to argue.  One of my personal favorites is the guy who thinks that the lens release button is so big so you can change lenses with gloves on.  My other favorite is the guy who doesn't want any changes to the release button even if they result in an improvement.  
You gotta love it ...

I don't know whether it makes me a fanboy or a troll, but my personal favorite is that I can float over this spat, not caring who's right or who wins, because I've always held my cameras in a way that keeps any part of my hand from being anywhere near the button. Problem(?) solved!  Smiley Wink

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

"Great you got the point at last."

Not so sure about that but you certainly haven't got the point.  The button on a 1 series is substantially the same as it always has been. The size is nearly the same and it is somewhat recessed.  Exactly the way I want it !

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

"Yep - because it hasn't happened to you then there isn't a problem. Very good. Thanks."

I know if it has happened to you, it is a more heartbreaking event.  The fact it hasn't happened to me is no indication it can't.  That was not my point.  But the fact it hasn't happened to me and thousands of Canon owners does say something.

In addition, I use Nikon cameras, too.  The button is in very nearly in the exact same place.  It may even be slightly larger and stick out slightly more.  I haven't lost a lens form one of them either for whatever that's worth.  I will point out that the lens on a Nikon turns the opposite direction.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

I know if it has happened to you, it is a more heartbreaking event.  The fact it hasn't happened to me is no indication it can't.  That was not my point.  But the fact it hasn't happened to me and thousands of Canon owners does say something.

Yes. True. I wold imagine that my experience is most definitely a minority one. Thankfully. I ony hope it stays that way. Which is kinda the point here for me really.

Sorry to labour this point, but it seems there have been just a few here who, for whatever reason, have attempted to downplay this issue. Perhaps it's my fault - I never intended to make out that this was a huge, earth shattering problem. But I would like Canon to consider this going forward. The fact that this is happening is not great. It's all too easy to say - 'oh, noob error' or 'you're doing it wrong' or such. I'm just trying to point out that this can also happen to experienced people who are careful and deliberate with their gear and their actions.

My opinion (take note of that word) is that it would be good if this were not happening at all. The fact that there are a number of people here who have experienced this means that there is the possibility of accidental lens releases occuring. And I feel it would simply be prudent to bring this to the attention of Canon and hopefully they will take this into consideration in future designs.

I honestly understand that, if it hasn't hapened to you personally, it would be easy to think that it was just a numpty error. And I'm sure in some cases it is exactly that. In my case it was less numpty and more that I had faith, based on my previous decades of doing this, that the lens mounting would be OK. It was not. The logical conclusion I have drawn is that it is just a little too easy for the lens release to be accidentally activated.

Would be nice if, in future, it was a little less easy for this to occur.

JoeDavid
Enthusiast
👍👍👍
Currenly using R5 and R7 mostly plus a variety of Canon RF and EF lens...

Ebiggs1 – 7,177 posts/365 days =19.6 years of daily posts

TCampbell – 2,745 posts/365 days = 7.5 years of daily posts

RobertTheFat – 2,979 posts/365 days = 8.1 years of daily posts

Boys, get a life …
Put down your keyboards and take some of that expensive equipment outside and shoot some pictures …

You don't have to reply to every post.  

We'll get by ... somehow

@FloydSpellman wrote:

Ebiggs1 – 7,177 posts/365 days =19.6 years of daily posts

RobertTheFat – 2,979 posts/365 days = 8.1 years of daily posts

Boys, get a life …
Put down your keyboards and take some of that expensive equipment outside and shoot some pictures …

You don't have to reply to every post.  

We'll get by ... somehow

LOL! Indeed - this may be why they don't seem to get it - they don't actually have time to use their cameras - they are too busy here denying that there could possibly be an issue with a Canon product!

Fanboys much? Hehe.

"Ebiggs1 – 7,177 posts/365 days =19.6 years of daily posts

RobertTheFat – 2,979 posts/365 days = 8.1 years of daily posts"

Nice to see you boys can do math for whatever reason?  Let's see now just who has the experience.  I am over 70 and been retired for 14 years from a very large major company where I did photography.  Plus I ran a good private photography business.  I still work every day to this day.  I got my first camera in 1955.  I still have it.  I shoot both brands of camera.  Nikon and Canon.  You can read some of my posts where I legitimately critique Canon.

I will try to show a little more courtesy to you two but I think I am well qualified to comment on this issue. I have seen your type many times.  One day you buy a high dollar camera and next week you are experts.  Nice!

Your complaint is nonsense.  Learn how to use your camera and stop whining about it.

EB

BTW, that was post 7,179 if you are still counting!  Smiley Very Happy

EB
Announcements