cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accessory viewer window for 5DIV

WesternGuy
Enthusiast

In my extended years, I find it a bit more difficult to lie on my stomach to get up close and personal with some ground hugging flowers, etc.  I am wondering if there is an accessory of some sort that would plug into one of the camera's ports that would be like a "tilt" viewer, so that I can get the camera quite low to the ground and tilt the viewer for focusing and framing my image without having to lie flat on the ground..

I am not sure what this is called - its "techie" name - but any insight that anyone would care to provide will be greatly appreciated.  TIA.

WesternGuy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Well, it is finally working.  Following the suggestion of Waddizzle, I managed to contact Canon Support Canada and found that I needed a different app for my iPad - Camera Connect.  With that in place and everything else working properly, I can now run my 5DIV from my iPad.

My thanks to all who offered suggestions and insight to get this working.

WesternGuy

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

What you need is an "External Monitor"  

Mike Sowsun

Mike, thanks for the video and all the information.  It will take me a few minutes or more to digest all this information and see how they might work for me.

WesternGuy

Mike, one question - do these "monitors" tilt, so that I can see them if I am kneeling beside them.  All of the pictures I see do not show this, rather they show them as being vertical accessories.  The few I have loked at so far, do not show any pictures of them tilted.  Thanks.

WesternGuy

@WesternGuy wrote:

Mike, one question - do these "monitors" tilt, so that I can see them if I am kneeling beside them.  All of the pictures I see do not show this, rather they show them as being vertical accessories.  The few I have loked at so far, do not show any pictures of them tilted.  Thanks.

WesternGuy

Yes, most, if not all, appear to have flexible mount.

If it doesn’t tilt, it would be very easy to buy a mount which does tilt. 

Mike Sowsun

Mike, thanks for the insight on the "tilt".  Definitely helps.

WesternGuy.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I have occasionally used an iPad for wireless remote shooting.  It works perfectly with a 6D, or a 6D2.  No doubt it would work just as well with a 5D4.  It is a much larger screen than a monitor.  Manual focusing works out very well.

The only drawback is that the remote shooting display is not as fast as supplementary monitor.  But, the difference is meaningless when shooting static subjects.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Waddizzle, I have an iPad Pro, so this might work.  Do you have any insight on how to set this up?  Do I need to download something for my iPad?  Let me know what I need to make this work. Thanks.

WesternGuy

@WesternGuy wrote:

Waddizzle, I have an iPad Pro, so this might work.  Do you have any insight on how to set this up?  Do I need to download something for my iPad?  Let me know what I need to make this work. Thanks.

WesternGuy

You only need to install the Canon Connect app from Canon.  

The app can also allow you to automatically send photos to your iPad every time you take a shot.  But, it will only transfer JPEG files.  If you shoot RAW and JPG, you can take photos, and see the JPG immediately on your iPad to show a customer. For me, this has been a highly desirable feature of the 6D series since it was introduced.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks.  Pardon my ignorance, but where will I find this Canon Connect app?  You said "from Canon", but do I get it from the software that came with the camera, or is there a special website where I can find it?  Thanks.

WesternGuy

Announcements