Canon Community Canon Community

Occasional Contributor
Accepted Solution

Accessory viewer window for 5DIV

In my extended years, I find it a bit more difficult to lie on my stomach to get up close and personal with some ground hugging flowers, etc.  I am wondering if there is an accessory of some sort that would plug into one of the camera's ports that would be like a "tilt" viewer, so that I can get the camera quite low to the ground and tilt the viewer for focusing and framing my image without having to lie flat on the ground..

I am not sure what this is called - its "techie" name - but any insight that anyone would care to provide will be greatly appreciated.  TIA.

WesternGuy

Reputable Contributor

Re: Accessory viewer window for 5DIV

What you need is an "External Monitor"  

Mike Sowsun
S110, SL1, 80D, 5D Mk III
Honored Contributor

I have occasionally used an iPad for wireless remote shooting.  It works perfectly with a 6D, or a 6D2.  No doubt it would work just as well with a 5D4.  It is a much larger screen than a monitor.  Manual focusing works out very well.

The only drawback is that the remote shooting display is not as fast as supplementary monitor.  But, the difference is meaningless when shooting static subjects.  

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."
Occasional Contributor

Mike, thanks for the video and all the information.  It will take me a few minutes or more to digest all this information and see how they might work for me.

WesternGuy

Occasional Contributor

Waddizzle, I have an iPad Pro, so this might work.  Do you have any insight on how to set this up?  Do I need to download something for my iPad?  Let me know what I need to make this work. Thanks.

WesternGuy

Honored Contributor

@WesternGuy wrote:

Waddizzle, I have an iPad Pro, so this might work.  Do you have any insight on how to set this up?  Do I need to download something for my iPad?  Let me know what I need to make this work. Thanks.

WesternGuy

You only need to install the Canon Connect app from Canon.  

The app can also allow you to automatically send photos to your iPad every time you take a shot.  But, it will only transfer JPEG files.  If you shoot RAW and JPG, you can take photos, and see the JPG immediately on your iPad to show a customer. For me, this has been a highly desirable feature of the 6D series since it was introduced.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Occasional Contributor

Thanks.  Pardon my ignorance, but where will I find this Canon Connect app?  You said "from Canon", but do I get it from the software that came with the camera, or is there a special website where I can find it?  Thanks.

WesternGuy

Occasional Contributor

Mike, one question - do these "monitors" tilt, so that I can see them if I am kneeling beside them.  All of the pictures I see do not show this, rather they show them as being vertical accessories.  The few I have loked at so far, do not show any pictures of them tilted.  Thanks.

WesternGuy

Honored Contributor

@WesternGuy wrote:

Thanks.  Pardon my ignorance, but where will I find this Canon Connect app?  You said "from Canon", but do I get it from the software that came with the camera, or is there a special website where I can find it?  Thanks.

WesternGuy

I am not going to give a link.  I do not know what it is off the top of my head,  Besides, the link is different for IOS and Android smart devices, anyway.  The link is in your instruction manual.  It is also found on the product page for your camera at the Canon US Support areas of this web site.

Reputable Contributor

@WesternGuy wrote:

Mike, one question - do these "monitors" tilt, so that I can see them if I am kneeling beside them.  All of the pictures I see do not show this, rather they show them as being vertical accessories.  The few I have loked at so far, do not show any pictures of them tilted.  Thanks.

WesternGuy

Yes, most, if not all, appear to have flexible mount.

If it doesn’t tilt, it would be very easy to buy a mount which does tilt. 

Mike Sowsun
S110, SL1, 80D, 5D Mk III