cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accessory viewer window for 5DIV

WesternGuy
Enthusiast

In my extended years, I find it a bit more difficult to lie on my stomach to get up close and personal with some ground hugging flowers, etc.  I am wondering if there is an accessory of some sort that would plug into one of the camera's ports that would be like a "tilt" viewer, so that I can get the camera quite low to the ground and tilt the viewer for focusing and framing my image without having to lie flat on the ground..

I am not sure what this is called - its "techie" name - but any insight that anyone would care to provide will be greatly appreciated.  TIA.

WesternGuy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Well, it is finally working.  Following the suggestion of Waddizzle, I managed to contact Canon Support Canada and found that I needed a different app for my iPad - Camera Connect.  With that in place and everything else working properly, I can now run my 5DIV from my iPad.

My thanks to all who offered suggestions and insight to get this working.

WesternGuy

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22

@WesternGuy wrote:

Well, as far as the "basics of photography" are concerned, I think I know a bit about those - been photographing using film, and now digital, for over 40 years (digital 12 years) and I like to think I have learned a few things.  However, as far as networks and technology go, that is not really my thing, and yes, you do have to be a bit of a guru.  Living north of 49, I was not aware of the support page, I thank you for bringing that to my attention.

I was able to download the proper manual for the WiFi side of things and was able to follow just about everything until I got to the last part with the camera displaying the "Waiting to Connect" screen, c/w SSID, Encryption key, IP address and MAC address.  The manual says to start Camera Connect on the iPad, so I did that and all I get is a "box" saying "Could not find a Connect Station.  Check the network settings and tap the Retry button."  Maybe I don't have the right software?

As you are the expert in this, perhaps you could tell me what I am doing wrong, or what I need to do at this point to get the iPad to connect with the 5DIV.

WesternGuy

Any time you're going to connect two devices (e.g., a camera and a computer) via WiFi, you first have to ensure that both devices agree on which one is the access point and which one is the client. If that understanding isn't clear to both devices, they won't connect. And it's surprising how often that turns out to be the problem. If both devices have to be clients (probably not the case here), there has to be a separate access point through which they can communicate.

Setting up a WiFi connection is not a simple process, and device manufacturers have expended a lot of effort to try to make it seem simpler than it is. Sometimes those efforts pan out; sometimes not. If networks and technology are not your thing, there may be a bit of a learning curve to overcome.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Bob, thanks for the understanding.  I am still on the lower part of the learning curve as networks and that part of technology are really not my thing, never have been.  Software I can usually deal with, hardware is something else. Smiley Frustrated

In this case, I suspect that the Canon Connect app is the the separate access point.  My conundrum now is to figure out how to make that app work properly.  I do think I will get there, just going to take some insight from someone who has done this before using this newer app.

WesternGuy

Well, it is finally working.  Following the suggestion of Waddizzle, I managed to contact Canon Support Canada and found that I needed a different app for my iPad - Camera Connect.  With that in place and everything else working properly, I can now run my 5DIV from my iPad.

My thanks to all who offered suggestions and insight to get this working.

WesternGuy

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements