cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accessory viewer window for 5DIV

WesternGuy
Enthusiast

In my extended years, I find it a bit more difficult to lie on my stomach to get up close and personal with some ground hugging flowers, etc.  I am wondering if there is an accessory of some sort that would plug into one of the camera's ports that would be like a "tilt" viewer, so that I can get the camera quite low to the ground and tilt the viewer for focusing and framing my image without having to lie flat on the ground..

I am not sure what this is called - its "techie" name - but any insight that anyone would care to provide will be greatly appreciated.  TIA.

WesternGuy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Well, it is finally working.  Following the suggestion of Waddizzle, I managed to contact Canon Support Canada and found that I needed a different app for my iPad - Camera Connect.  With that in place and everything else working properly, I can now run my 5DIV from my iPad.

My thanks to all who offered suggestions and insight to get this working.

WesternGuy

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22

@WesternGuy wrote:

Thanks.  Pardon my ignorance, but where will I find this Canon Connect app?  You said "from Canon", but do I get it from the software that came with the camera, or is there a special website where I can find it?  Thanks.

WesternGuy

I am not going to give a link.  I do not know what it is off the top of my head,  Besides, the link is different for IOS and Android smart devices, anyway.  The link is in your instruction manual.  It is also found on the product page for your camera at the Canon US Support areas of this web site.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@WesternGuy wrote:

Thanks.  Pardon my ignorance, but where will I find this Canon Connect app?  You said "from Canon", but do I get it from the software that came with the camera, or is there a special website where I can find it?  Thanks.

WesternGuy

The Canon connect app for apple products is in their (edit: apple's app store).  Do a search and look for "canon camera connect".

BTW I have used it remotly (camera outside and ipad about 20 feet away in house).  Works great!!

Also if I remember correctly it is a little complicated to set up.  Make sure the network is turned on in the camera with a nickname for the camera.  Then you have to connect the camera to your wifi network.  Assuming that your ipad is also connected to the same wifi network, from the ipad app connect to your camera (look for the nickname you set up).  That's about it if you are both on the same wifi network.  When you are outside of your wifi network you have to go to your ipad settings and connect wifi to your camera (your camera will look like a wifi hot spot).  

California Dreaming, thanks for all the technical insight.  Unfortunately, I am not sure that I am that technical.  Do you know if there is a YouTube video that explains all this?  I did find the Canon Connect app and have downloaded it to my iPad.  Maybe I will see if I can get them to recognize each other on my wifi network.

I am assuming that my User's Guide for the camera will show me how to connect my camera to my wifi network.  I did try to get the app running, but it says it is looking for something called "Connect Station" which it cannot find and I do not know what this is.

Right now, I am looking at the wide variety of relatively inexpensive monitors made by Neewer that seem to be able to provide what I am looking for - no decision yet.

WesternGuy

@WesternGuy wrote:

California Dreaming, thanks for all the technical insight.  Unfortunately, I am not sure that I am that technical.  Do you know if there is a YouTube video that explains all this?  I did find the Canon Connect app and have downloaded it to my iPad.  Maybe I will see if I can get them to recognize each other on my wifi network.

I am assuming that my User's Guide for the camera will show me how to connect my camera to my wifi network.  I did try to get the app running, but it says it is looking for something called "Connect Station" which it cannot find and I do not know what this is.

Right now, I am looking at the wide variety of relatively inexpensive monitors made by Neewer that seem to be able to provide what I am looking for - no decision yet.

WesternGuy

It is not a question of being a technical guru.  Assuming that the manual packed in the box with the camera will tell you what you are looking for would be a major false assumption.  That document would tell you to do what I am about to tell you now.

I have been trying to encourage you to take the initiative and help yourself.  If you have not visited the camera’s product support page, then you have dropped the ball on yourself.  

This link below to the Canon Support home page can be found on the Canon Community home page.  Use it to find your camera’s product support page.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support

This is where you can download the instruction manual, the full version.  What comes in the box with the camera is more of quick start manual.  If you want to use the Wi-Fi, then there is a separate manual for that, too.

The product support page is where you can download software to actually use the camera to its’ fullest potential.  There numerous applications, and each has its’ own instruction manual that you need to download.

The EOS 5D Mark IV is an instrument that professional photographers use to capture images.  Just like any musical instrument, you need to take the initiative learn about the camera.  You need to practice with the camera.  You need to learn about the basics of photography.  This will require effort on your part.

Using the Wi-Fi is a more advanced feature.  I suggest that you call Canon Support, who can walk you through the steps to connect your camera and iPad via Wi-Fi. 

Well, as far as the "basics of photography" are concerned, I think I know a bit about those - been photographing using film, and now digital, for over 40 years (digital 12 years) and I like to think I have learned a few things.  However, as far as networks and technology go, that is not really my thing, and yes, you do have to be a bit of a guru.  Living north of 49, I was not aware of the support page, I thank you for bringing that to my attention.

I was able to download the proper manual for the WiFi side of things and was able to follow just about everything until I got to the last part with the camera displaying the "Waiting to Connect" screen, c/w SSID, Encryption key, IP address and MAC address.  The manual says to start Camera Connect on the iPad, so I did that and all I get is a "box" saying "Could not find a Connect Station.  Check the network settings and tap the Retry button."  Maybe I don't have the right software?

As you are the expert in this, perhaps you could tell me what I am doing wrong, or what I need to do at this point to get the iPad to connect with the 5DIV.

WesternGuy

I was able to download the proper manual for the WiFi side of things and was able to follow just about everything until I got to the last part with the camera displaying the "Waiting to Connect" screen, c/w SSID, Encryption key, IP address and MAC address.

Were you conected to the WiFi in the camera?  Don't remember the exact messages, but did you enter your network wifi password in the camera?  If so your camera should be on the network.  At that point if your iPad and camera are on the same network, your iPad through the app should see the camera.  You might try a power cycle on both the camera and the iPad and try agsin.

The manual says to start Camera Connect on the iPad, so I did that and all I get is a "box" saying "Could not find a Connect Station.  Check the network settings and tap the Retry button."  Maybe I don't have the right software?

If it can't find the camera (you did assign a nickname to the camera?) it would mean it is not on the network.  Seems like I had to "fool around" a bit after it was properly set up (power cycle).

As you are the expert in this, perhaps you could tell me what I am doing wrong, or what I need to do at this point to get the iPad to connect with the 5DIV.

WesternGuy

I can't look right now, but I will look later tonight to see what it looks like on my camera.

@WesternGuy wrote:

Well, as far as the "basics of photography" are concerned, I think I know a bit about those - been photographing using film, and now digital, for over 40 years (digital 12 years) and I like to think I have learned a few things. 

WesternGuy

My mistake.  You have come across as a complete novice with a DSLR.  I suppose you are new to networking. 

As for telling you what to do, I already have.  I told you to contact Canon Support.  

Announcements