cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AF Touch not working on canon 80D

sushanmool
Apprentice

Hello,

I recently purchased canon 80D, hoping to get the feature of touch AF focus on live view mode. But the AF doesn't seem to be working in photo mode via Live View shooting. I tried tapping on the screen, but it doesn't seem to be focusing. To focus, the back button focus is working fine, but not touch AF.

Touch AF is working in video mode though. Can anybody tell me why this is happening? 

Thanks

Sushan

6 REPLIES 6

@sushanmoolwrote:

Hello,

I recently purchased canon 80D, hoping to get the feature of touch AF focus on live view mode. But the AF doesn't seem to be working in photo mode via Live View shooting. I tried tapping on the screen, but it doesn't seem to be focusing. To focus, the back button focus is working fine, but not touch AF.

Touch AF is working in video mode though. Can anybody tell me why this is happening? 

Thanks

Sushan

What does the manual say about that? I have a vague recollection that if BBF is set to preëmpt the shutter button's AF functionality (which isn't the default, but is the way many users set it up), it may interfere with touch AF. I'm probably wrong, but it may be worth checking.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Reset the camera, under Tools do the clear all settings.  Try the touch AF. 

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Disable Back Button Focus. Setup a custom shooting mode that has it disabled for this type of shooting.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Johnw1
Enthusiast

If you are in basic mode the camera will choose the AF mode and touch may not be avilable. In creative mode you can set it to oneshot or servo mode for touch focus.Basic mode is auto mode or a variation on auto. Creative mode is manual  mode. TV shutter priority and AV aperture priorty.

To read more on this see page 255 in the 80D instruction manual.

best way is to set a custom function for it

PLee
Enthusiast

Live View AF is linked to AF being enabled on the shutter button, so when you setup a camera for back button focus, you also disable AF in Live View. Continuous AF in video is still available as you have already described and what you are experiencing is normal.

I would recommend registering C1, C2 or C3 to whatever your preference may be for either back button shooting or Live View AF.

Announcements