cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AEL doesn't lock

arogers
Contributor

Why is it that on say a 5Dm4 or 5DS the AEL feature turns itself OFF the very moment I take a shot and then get into the menu/screen system.  I am a wedding photographer and sometimes I like to lock the exposure (e.g. a sunset) and then adjust the flash output on my Bride using the menu system which is easier to do rather than on the flash head itself in the dark.  In other words AEL is not 100% locking if you want to do anything with the menu after taking the shot.   Unless I am doing something wrong?

14 REPLIES 14

@arogers wrote:

When you're a wediing photographer, and even more so when your style is photojournalistic, AV mode in my experience is always that little bit quicker and safer than manual mode. AE has always been for short term exposure locking, but AEL is supposed to LOCK the exposure for as long as needed. That's why it is called AE L. It's a shame the LOCK feature doesn't stay locked on though when accessing the menu system. If it did I could work a fraction faster.  So anyway unless they change it then yup I'll have to continue setting the exposure manually and adjust the flash output as needed.

I would agree that Av mone is faster and safer, however, if you are going into the camera's menus that's not really time when you're doing 'fast shooting'. My suggestion is that you set up one of your Custom settings as full manual (Tv,Av,ISO) that way you can quickly change to that when you want your long term exposure lock. Then revert back to Av for your on the fly shooting.

@TTMartin If you set up access to the flash settings in the Quick Control screen (which is a brilliant), it is much faster to adjust the flash power (up or down as needed) compared to fumbling around in the dark with the buttons and that little wheel on the actual flash head itself.   That's why AEL needs to stay locked on when I go into that Quick Control screen.

@arogers wrote:

@TTMartin If you set up access to the flash settings in the Quick Control screen (which is a brilliant), it is much faster to adjust the flash power (up or down as needed) compared to fumbling around in the dark with the buttons and that little wheel on the actual flash head itself.   That's why AEL needs to stay locked on when I go into that Quick Control screen.

I think you need to get your head around the fact that Canon isn't going to change the way AEL works any time soon. You've rejected several suggestions without (I think) trying them, on the grounds that your way, if it worked, would be better. But since it apparently doesn't, don't you risk letting the perfect be the enemy of the good?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Bob you're probably right, Canon are not going to improve their AEL. But you're wrong because of course I have considered some of the other approaches and suggestions made here, all of which have merit. 

Dlawson7
Apprentice

I just read this article today. Maybe it will help you

http://learn.usa.canon.com/resources/blogs/2013/20131203_winston_aelock_blog.shtml

Announcements