Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Re: AC line noise on mic

"reverse the AC plug trick"

What does that mean?

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

You can try a simple line filter first but that isn't likely to work with the type of noise common on AC lines today.  Schaffner makes some excellent high performance line noise filters but they are designed to be chassis mounted, the simple plug in type filters like you may in retail stores are simple and tend to not be terribly effective. 

Isolation transformers often are very effective because of their shielding and some plug and play units are available but not many are available in the low power size that you need so you may have difficulty finding a unit that isn't excessively costly, large, and heavy.  Avoid the "autoformer" types that are often found on Ebay and the big online shopping types which aren't a real isolation transformer but instead are a simple tapped auto transformer designed to cheaply convert between 240/120 supplies and 120/240 volt products.  These offer zero attenuation of noise on the line.

Mouser Electronics is where I have bought most industrial electronic components for years and they have these products but they are NOT simple plug in devices and you would have to mount them to a chassis and wire in the proper three wire power plug (with proper circuit breaker or fuse) and an AC outlet.  If you go this route, Schaffner offers excellent filter modules but they aren't cheap AND there is no guarantee that it will work.  So first see if Best Buy or some online source has an inexpensive plug in filter and give it a try.

If you go with the battery inverter route, look for something that is referred to as a true or pure sinewave inverter because these provide the cleanest output and the best provide a waveform that is nearly a pure sinewave.  So called "modified" sinewave inverters produce a dirty output that won't kill most electronics but the output is a slightly softened square wave rich in harmonics and other "garbage".

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@Mandi wrote:

"reverse the AC plug trick"

What does that mean?

If your AC plug is not polarized, simply pull it out and reverse it in the socket. Sometimes it matters which end the hot or neutral connect to.

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Just an FYI for anyone who might have a problem like this.  It's fixed.  This did it:

Digital Energy EMI Sound Filter/Noise Reducer - 25 Foot Long 14/3 Cable - 6 Outlet Metal Body Surge Protector Power Strip | 1200 Joule, Heavy Duty Construction

I found the line filter I was looking for.

ps- Was never a mic problem.

Highlighted
VIP

@Mandi wrote:

Just an FYI for anyone who might have a problem like this.  It's fixed.  This did it:

Digital Energy EMI Sound Filter/Noise Reducer - 25 Foot Long 14/3 Cable - 6 Outlet Metal Body Surge Protector Power Strip | 1200 Joule, Heavy Duty Construction

I found the line filter I was looking for.

ps- Was never a mic problem.

Who made the AC adapter for the microphone?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Doctor told me to get out and walk, so I bought a Canon."
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Mandi,

Glad you found a line filter to solve the problem and thanks for posting the update rather than just letting the thread die with no ending. 

I got involved with one of these situations several years ago with a friend who was working with some very sensitive and picky test gear in an industrial zoned area and it took both a line filter and an isolation transformer to sufficiently tame the garbage on the AC line.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

There was no AC for the mic. The mic is not powered externally.

Both the EOS and my phone can either run on AC or DC (battery).  The AC option that I often need for longer video projects resulted in the line noice when using an external mic.  (same when using the phone)

Using this filtered power strip cleaned it up.  Smiley Happy

@Waddizzle wrote:

Who made the AC adapter for the microphone?