cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A question about the Canon 77D, third party battery grips, and battery errors.

kevinh
Contributor

A question about the Canon 77D, third party battery grips, and battery errors.

Unless something has changed, if you want a battery grip that allows the use of two batteries at the same time and has a vertical shutter button, the only choices available are from third party companies.

I'm using a Vivitar-branded grip that is marketed under several companies' brand names.

The grip works well, except when used in portrait mode with the vertical shutter button. Then, sometimes, I get the "are these Canon batteries" communications error. What makes this unusual and frustrating is that I get that "communications" error, even when using two Canon batteries.

Checking online reviews of third party battery grips, you find the "communications" battery error is common.

All of this leads to several questions: does anyone know why the battery error ocurrs with the third party grips, how to avoid getting the error, and whether Canon ever plans to release their own battery grip for the 77d.

I suspect that Canon's choice to use "coded" batteries in the 77d has made it difficult or impossible to design a grip that will work properly with the camera. I also suspect that no firmware update to address this issue will ever be possible.

5 REPLIES 5

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

I'll start with this.  You are never going to get a Canon branded battery grip for your 77D.  That ship has sailed sir.

A 3rd party grip is your only option.  As far as compatibility, that will be hit or miss. 

Keeping everything clean, and using batteries in good working condition (not tired) is probably the only thing which can be done to help reduce the number of communicatin failures you receive.  The contacts and electronics in the 3rd party grip isn't going to work 100% of the time even with canon branded batteries.

Other options, step up to 80/90D and a BG-E14.

Unfortunately, Canon didn't make a grip for your body.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

My advice is to buy a Canon camera that is supported by a Canon grip.  I strongly suggest you stop using third party grips on Canon camera of any kind.  If you call Canon they will say the same thing.  The camera is not designed to use a grip.

"I also suspect that no firmware update to address this issue will ever be possible."

Canon is never going to update their FW to make it compatible with any third party grip or lenses or etc. Why would they, I wouldn't.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I suspect that Canon's choice to use "coded" batteries in the 77d ..."

BTW, although not asked, I also do not recommend you use third party batteries in any Canon camera. Perhaps not likely but it has happened, third party batteries and, yes, even grips can damage the camera.

EB

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

"A question about the Canon 77D, third party battery grips, and battery errors.

Unless something has changed, if you want a battery grip that allows the use of two batteries at the same time and has a vertical shutter button, the only choices available are from third party companies."

The firmware in a 77D does not support a camera grip, which seem to alternate between the batteries in the grip.  If Canon did not announce a grip when the camera was released, then there will not be one from Canon.

The battery compartment lacks a couple of features to support grips, which means third party grips are likely to damage you camera because they must fool it in some way.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

"...third party grips are likely to damage you camera because they must fool it in some way."

I don't know about "fooling" the camera but I totally agree there is the possibility of it damaging the camera.  It is not designed to use a grip. Albeit it might be a small risk but not a risk I want to take.  Same thing concerning third party batteries.  Most are OK and work but a few don't.  It's your dime, however.

EB
Announcements