cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

90d too dark in HDR

Jlames
Enthusiast

I’m really having issues with the 90d In-camera HDR. My subject is an interior room in afternoon light with large windows for natural light. Using a manual lens, I’m setting up for AV assuming if I set the ISO to 100 and the f-stop to 8, I’ll only need to be concerned with shutter speed. Using spot metering, I note that the dark is coming in at 0”8 and the bright is at 1/5, I’ve set up for both 3 and 5-shots at +-2ev and the resulting hdr image in both shots come out well-exposed for the highlights but too dark in the remaining areas. Am I doing something wrong or is the hdr function known for this?

Sent from my iPad

62 REPLIES 62

And how do I know how many stops are between say 1/4 and 1/60?

8C1CE530-67AC-4FA8-86DB-BB2C4142F949.jpeg

So I guess this is one of those times where even six stops isn't enough so, if I understand this correctly, I'm outside of the cameras capabilities so I have to go to manual creation if I want to make an HDR shot look good; is that about it?

Why not try "Auto" and let the camera pick the range?

I'll try anything.

Nope; that didn't work either.

Have you tried "Backlight HDR mode"?

A new wrinkle.In trying to figure this out, I'm much happier with the resuts I'm getting fumbling through manipulating all the settings in M-mode. So in M, if I like the look of a shot at f8, ISO100 and 1/60SS and  my darks come in at 1/20 to get and windos/exteriors, do I need to necessarilly add a third stop on the bright side to cause the shot I like at 1/60th to work out or can I just merge in HDR the 1/20 and the 1/60th?  Secondly, If a shot is shot is "bracketed" at say 1/20, 1/60 and 1/125, how many stpops are between there or is there a relationship between time and aperature in that regard?

1/60->1/125 is traditionally 1 stop. (A stop is a factor of 2 for shutter speed and ISO).

1/20 ->1/60 is about a stop and a half.

So everytime I double the shutter speed, its equivalent is 1 f-stop, is that correct?

Announcements