cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

90D Problem

steinr98
Contributor

YEs I know Canondoes not reconize third party lenses- However please read thru this-  I have a Tamron 18-400 lens that is 5 months old.  This lens worked perfectly for the 5 months. NO wthe lens willnot focus at 200mm or above.  I sent intheLens to 

tamro- they retued in working ordere.  no mention of a problem.  Still des not work above 200mm.  There are countless( and I mean lots of 90D owners on Facebook that use this lens-  Now comes the real problem- This lens works fine on 4 different Canon bodies!! 7D MKII, 5Ti, 5D, another 90D( a friend).  My 90 D works with 8 Canon Lens + another Tamron,a Tokina, and a samyang lens.  I sent the body in for repairs to the tune of over #300 buck as it was out of warranty- It came backthe same way???  I don't think tey did anything to it as it worked with all Canon lenses??

Any one have any ideas what to try ??. It is a great walk around lens I can use it on my 7D MKII but the 90 D is much lighter and so I liket o use it on the  90D.

Thanks!

39 REPLIES 39

I originally did a micrd adjustment- I did try a quick trial reset but it did nothing and put it back where it was- I will try redoing the Micro Adj just in case!!-Thanks-=

Ron

I might add that when the 90D tries to focus it goes past focus and back again to a non focus spot.  Actually a slow focus like it is dragging its feet!  
Again, remember it focuses perfectly in Live view!!

@steinr98 wrote:

I might add that when the 90D tries to focus it goes past focus and back again to a non focus spot.  Actually a slow focus like it is dragging its feet!  
Again, remember it focuses perfectly in Live view!!

I do not recommend an AFMA adjustment with this lens.  It does not focus consistently accurate to be worth the trouble.  

If the view through the viewfinder is totally out of focus, then the camera does not recognize anything to focus on.  It might start "dragging its feet" because it is searching for something to focus on.  Remember, the camera can only see what the lens shows it. 

Also, the lens has a VERY WIDE zoom ratio.  This does not help autofocusing.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Waddizzle:  It does not matter what I focus on- I can do extreme contrast(this is one of the 90Ds problems) but it will not focus- again- deos it in live view.  I did have  one suggestionl that if I can go back to the orig firm ware It migh solve the

problem but would then lose my 24 fps video - uggg!

Thaks

The fairly narrow maximum aperture of this lens makes AF more difficult for the body, particularly in lower light. The maximum aperture of your lens is down to f5.6 around 90mm decreasing to f6.3 just a few mm later so most of the time the 90D AF system is hindered by this narrow aperture which will cause slower focusing and more hunting/seeking.

AFMA may help and I would calibrate the W and T settings for this zoom at your most used wide and tele ranges if you have favorite spots in the range, this may provide some improvement.

Good luck!

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Wq9nsc:  Again... This lens worked perfectly with no problems at all for 4-5 months- it is a bummer- I mentioned earlier, the old firm ware may be the trick??  but again there R  tons of people on Facebook with no problems.and I mean tons of people!

Thanks- I can't believe LiveV works- I have tried very bright light and contrast- made no difference!  To darn hot out to do the AMFA at the momlent -I'm in AZ.. only 113 yesterday and near that today!!

Thanks!

We are still  talking the, "I have a Tamron 18-400 lens that is 5 months old." lens? I kinda lost track with all the suggestions. Some good some not so good. It is very unlikely it has anything to do with the Canon FW so keep the version you have. Canon doesn't care or even know what a Tamron 18-400 lens is.

I would reset the 90D to factory just to be sure you didn't accidentally set something.  Who knows. Also zero out a focus adjustment you may have made. The Tammy isn't the greatest lens made and is probably a slow focusing lens anyhow. But the slow and slower aperture isn't likely the culprit either. These lenses fool the camera by lying to it about f-stop.

I doubt there is any benefit sending the 90D to Canon for a service complaint about it not working with a Tamron lens. Your best bet is to contact Tamron and explain the problem. Tamron CS had improved a good deal in the past several years. From nonexistent to at least the OK level.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1:

idid drest the 90D to Fasctory defauilt 2 Times- Bothe the can and Tamronlhave been back to the factorys- I can try dremoving the micro focusing andtry that-   again wha tgeets me is the lens wodrks perfectly in Live View ???  The lens works perfectly on my 7D MKII.  y copy of tghe 18-400 is prettydarngood a fast focus and extremely shaprp!  It is a great walk aroud lens- tha tis why I'm trying to figure th is thing out!!  I can try Tamron- Canon gave me no satisfaction as they do not care about 3drd party lenses.

Thanks!

"Canon gave me no satisfaction as they do not care about 3drd party lenses."

Now honestly did you actually expect them to? No company is going to help you use or operate a competitors product.  You wouldn't if it were you.

It looks like you have run the course of suggestions from the forum users. It looks like we are not going to be able to help.

Just because it seems to work using LV and not the VF doesn't settle or confirm anything since the two systems are different.

All I can say is good luck with it and I do hope you find a solution.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I think you are correct- I am of the impression it may be a tolance thing( Canon's explination by one of the managers I spoke with) - who knows- I believe all avenues have been expored.

One other item that makes no sense to me is the multitude of 90D owners that use this lens, and also the fact this lens works on 5 different Canon bodeis where I live.

So,  Thanks to all who have tried to help!!!  It just isn't in ther cards!

Ron

Announcements