cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

90D Problem

steinr98
Contributor

YEs I know Canondoes not reconize third party lenses- However please read thru this-  I have a Tamron 18-400 lens that is 5 months old.  This lens worked perfectly for the 5 months. NO wthe lens willnot focus at 200mm or above.  I sent intheLens to 

tamro- they retued in working ordere.  no mention of a problem.  Still des not work above 200mm.  There are countless( and I mean lots of 90D owners on Facebook that use this lens-  Now comes the real problem- This lens works fine on 4 different Canon bodies!! 7D MKII, 5Ti, 5D, another 90D( a friend).  My 90 D works with 8 Canon Lens + another Tamron,a Tokina, and a samyang lens.  I sent the body in for repairs to the tune of over #300 buck as it was out of warranty- It came backthe same way???  I don't think tey did anything to it as it worked with all Canon lenses??

Any one have any ideas what to try ??. It is a great walk around lens I can use it on my 7D MKII but the 90 D is much lighter and so I liket o use it on the  90D.

Thanks!

39 REPLIES 39

I tried a few things that were suggested- I have sent the body into Canon for repairs!!  I will let them figure it out!!

Thanks all!  Appreciate the help!

Ron

@steinr98 wrote:

I tried a few things that were suggested- I have sent the body into Canon for repairs!!  I will let them figure it out!!

Thanks all!  Appreciate the help!

Ron

I already told you what they will most likely find.

"You don't have a 90D camera problem.  You have a Tamron lens problem."

Canon is under no obligation to ensure the camera works with a third party lens.  If the lens worked with a 7D2, then that means Tamron got lucky and got something right.  If the lens does not work with a 90D, then Tamron has some more reverse engineering homework to do.

Good Luck.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

As I earlier This lens works on another 90D plus 4 other Canon cameras- Thelens was sent in first to TAmron to be serviced.  We shall see what Canon comes up with.

Thanks

Ron

@steinr98 wrote:

As I earlier This lens works on another 90D plus 4 other Canon cameras- Thelens was sent in first to TAmron to be serviced.  We shall see what Canon comes up with.

Thanks

Ron

Did you compare the firmware revision i the cameras?  If the lens works on other Canon bodes that are not the 90D, then that is completely irrelevant, especially if they are older bodies.

The most I would expect from Canon is to update the firmware, clean it up, and send it back to you.  "It works!"

Again- it wotked for 4-5 moonths perfectly ?? firmware has nothing to do with it-at least im my mind. It quit working- that was the problem.  Canon must have found sometihng as the first trip to Canon it was retulned in a few days- This is the second trip back to Canon ,and they evern did a free shipping return!  Now they have had it for over 10 days- Canon's normal turn around is 5-7 days.  Time will ltell all!  I'm waiting for a retunl!

Thanks again!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

If you sent the camera to Canon, and I mean to a real Canon repair, not Canon store or shop someplace, they reset your camera so that is not the problem.  You are correct Canon  is not going to make your 90D work with a off brand lens.  A poor lens, IMHO, too. And, I suspect that is your problem.

Like my friend above stated, "You don't have a 90D camera problem.  You have a Tamron lens problem." And, I agree with him.

You said, "My 90 D works with 8 Canon Lens + another Tamron,a Tokina, and a samyang lens."  And Canon returned it in working condition. Again provided it was a real Canon authorized repair facility. I have run across some off brand lenses that just don't work on some cameras.  Probably because of poor quality control or whatever. I would press Tamron for a solution.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

OP stated: " This lens works fine on 4 different Canon bodies!! 7D MKII, 5Ti, 5D, another 90D( a friend)." 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

OP stated: " This lens works fine on 4 different Canon bodies!! 7D MKII, 5Ti, 5D, another 90D( a friend)." 

Then I would compare the firmware revisions in the two cameras.

"OP stated: " This lens works fine on 4 different Canon bodies!! 7D MKII, 5Ti, 5D, another 90D( a friend)." 

Doesn't make any difference to me.  The fact it works on one and not the other doesn't prove the lens is good.  That's why I said it could just be poor QC. Tolerance stacking if you will. Or, even, how the lens is beign used, we don't know. Maybe the OP tried to use it in different lighting than he did on the other cameras. Who knows?

"Then I would compare the firmware revisions in the two cameras."

If it went to a honest to gosh real Canon service center they most likely did a reset and a FW upgrade. Not too hard to check though. Canon is pretty through when they service a camera even beyond the complaint. If they said the 90D is good to go, it is not the 90D.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

""OP stated: " This lens works fine on 4 different Canon bodies!! 7D MKII, 5Ti, 5D, another 90D( a friend)." 

"Then I would compare the firmware revisions in the two cameras."

If it went to a honest to gosh real Canon service center they most likely did a reset and a FW upgrade. Not too hard to check though. Canon is pretty through when they service a camera even beyond the complaint. If they said the 90D is good to go, it is not the 90D.

???   What does one camera going to the service center have to do with the firmware version in a second that did not go to the service center?  ???

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements