Canon Community Canon Community

New Contributor

90D - Does the built-in flash automatically pop-up?

I just got a new 90D.  On my 70D, when the camera in auto mode would pop-up the flash when it thought it was needed.  My 90D does not appear to do the same.  Is this normal that you have to push the flash button to use it or do I need to get into settings or is it broken?  I have it set to Auto Flash.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: 90D - Does the built-in flash automatically pop-up?

[ Edited ]

Greetings,

With the camera in full auto, the flash should pop up if the shooting conditions warrant.

Try resetting the camers to defaults and retest.  The flash should pop up when the shutter button is depressed half way and AF / metering is activated if lighting conditions are low.   

~Rick
Bay Area - CA
~6D2(v1.1.0) ~Many Lenses ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~Windows10 Pro ~EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 Ultra ~Pixma Pro-100 ~ImageClass MF644Cdw ~LBP622dw
Product Expert

Hey there,

To shoot with the built-in flash, you will want to press the flash button near the top of your camera to raise the flash unit. You can find the exact location of this button on page 164 of the manual below.

http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/3/0300036243/02/eos90d-ug2-en.pdf

New Contributor

The flash does work when you depress this button.  It will not pop-up in any mode on its own.

VIP

See page 169 of the user manual.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, MX472, LR Classic
VIP

@cdkuttnauer wrote:

The flash does work when you depress this button.  It will not pop-up in any mode on its own.

Just to be clear, does the flash even fire when you raise it manually?  

Take a close look at the flash shoe to see if there is some sort of foreign debris there.  If the camera thinks there is something sitting on the flash shoe, it wil not raise the flash on its' own.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Doctor told me to get out and walk, so I bought a Canon."
New Contributor

Yes. If I depress the flash button on the camera, it does work. On my 70D, the camera would sense when a flash was needed and pop up the flash. Does the 90D do the same, or do you need to manually depress the button to use the built in flash?
VIP

[ Edited ]

@cdkuttnauer wrote:
Yes. If I depress the flash button on the camera, it does work. On my 70D, the camera would sense when a flash was needed and pop up the flash. Does the 90D do the same, or do you need to manually depress the button to use the built in flash?

Just to be clear, does the flash even fire when you raise it manually?  

Take a close look at the flash shoe to see if there is some sort of foreign debris there.  If the camera thinks there is something sitting on the flash shoe, it wil not raise the flash on its' own.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Doctor told me to get out and walk, so I bought a Canon."
New Contributor

No debris. It is brand new.
Esteemed Contributor

As I said in my initial reply, the flash when set to automatic "fire" will pop up automatically if the shooting conditions warrant.

If the flash doesn't pop up and fire in low light after performing a reset, I'd consider the possibility of a problem or defect.    

~Rick
Bay Area - CA
~6D2(v1.1.0) ~Many Lenses ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~Windows10 Pro ~EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 Ultra ~Pixma Pro-100 ~ImageClass MF644Cdw ~LBP622dw