cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

80d with 1.4 teleconverter

chief54
Contributor

I have an 80d with a Tamron 600mm G2. Anybody have any experience with this combo using either a Canon or Tamron 1.4 teleconverter esp. for birds in flight. Thanks

7 REPLIES 7

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

I don't have a G2 or an 80D, but on my older 150-600 and T6S, the 1.8 teleconvertor works OK for still shots, like the moon, but Autofocus goes wonky. I think you are better off cropping.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I think you are better off cropping."

Boy is this ever good advice!  Good luck trying to get BIF in 1300+mm of FL. Add very slow AF just for fun.

Spend your money on a good post editor instead.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@chief54 wrote:

I have an 80d with a Tamron 600mm G2. Anybody have any experience with this combo using either a Canon or Tamron 1.4 teleconverter esp. for birds in flight. Thanks

If you mean the Tamron 150-600mm G2, then it is a pretty safe bet that a Canon extender will not work with the Tamron lens.  The Canon extender does not work with the Sigma 150-600mm “C”.

I would think that you should have plenty of focal length without an extender.  You would definitely need some sort of support with an extender AND an APS-C sensor with a 600mm lens.  If you focused on the Moon with the extender, it would move out of the frame in about a minute or so.

Your minimum aperture will increase by a full stop with a 1.4x.  And, even if it did work, you will lose many AF points.  The 80D has three rows of 27 AF points that focus af f/8.  That is the best you will get, if that many.  

The Tamron extender would have to fool the camera to get 27 AF points.  Not fooling the camera is exactly why the Canon extender will not work with the 150-600mm lens.  The Canon extenders do [not] resort to those gimmicks.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

once again thanks Waddizzle and everybody else all sound advice which tracks on my other reserch. On a side note  I checked out a 7d Mll and really liked the fast fps but that was about it. I really missed the touch screen on the 80d among other things and I think I got sharper images with 80d but sometimes that is hard to tell. So i ended up giving my 80d and 1st gemeration Tamron 600mm to girlfriend and got new 80d and Tamron 600mm G2. Off to the birds

Maybe you need an 'R':

https://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/00-new-today.htm

Note to future viewers, this is a link to a news page and the relevant info with scroll off the page.

@chief54 wrote:

once again thanks Waddizzle and everybody else all sound advice which tracks on my other reserch. On a side note  I checked out a 7d Mll and really liked the fast fps but that was about it.

I really missed the touch screen on the 80d among other things and I think I got sharper images with 80d but sometimes that is hard to tell.

So i ended up giving my 80d and 1st gemeration Tamron 600mm to girlfriend and got new 80d and Tamron 600mm G2. Off to the birds

You’re welcome.  Sounds like a good birding combo.  I would need a monopod, to give my arms the occasional rest with a 150-600mm lens.  If you get a monopod, which I highly recommend, then I suggest the Kirk MPA-2 tilt head.  It is strong enough to not only support the 150-600mm, but it can so with fine friction control.

I have used the 7D2 and 80D for a couple of months two summers in a row, before giving them away to friends and family.  I think the higher frame rate is good to have, but, in practice i rarely shoot at 10 fps because of camera settings and shooting conditions.  I do not see much of a fps difference with a Sigma “C” with either body.

I agree with you.  I think the 80D has IQ that is at least the equal to the 7D2.  And, the 80D has a next generation AF system compared to the 7D2: 27 f/8 AF points for the 80D vs 1 f/8 AF point for the 7D2.

I have not used either Tamron.  I have a Sigma 150-600mm “C”, which did not get much action until Sigma announced a new firmware update, which completely rewrote the AF system.  Not only was the Siggy C a beast of a lens, it would get soft above 500mm, and more times than not I would have to disable the OS the lens when I was panning because it would seem to get into a tug of war with the camera’s tracking and AF systems.  While better than the Sigma 150-500, the 150-600 still left something to be desired.

I decided to go for an EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM, instead of the Sigma Sport, and never looked back until Sigma did the firmware update.  I frequently use the 150-600 for daytime sports, and I use a monopod with it.  Because of its’ much lighter weight, I use the 100-400, sometimes with an EF 1.4x III, for birding.  I am not very good at birding.  Good shooting opportunities require time and dedication to find, and lots of practice to become good at it.  I’m getting too old for it.

The 7D2 does seem to achieve a higher frame rate than the 80D with the Canon 100-400.  But, the 80D is hands down better with the 100-400mm and the 1.4x III extender when it comes to tracking BIF.  My body of choice for action shots, though, are the 6D2, because of its’ better ISO I can use faster shutter speeds.  My soon kept my 1D4, after we traded cameras, his 7D2, one summer for a temporary trade.  

LOL!  He set me up. He does not photograph birds, mainly just his toddler running around outdoors.  He says that he likes the IQ and ISO of the 1D4 better than the 7D2.  I cannot say that I disagree with him on those two points.  It is a close call, though, but DPP creates better looking images from the 1D4, IMHO.  Don’t get me wrong.  The 7D2 is a fantastic camera.  It is just that I get higher keeper rates with other bodies.

As for the tilt-screen on the 80D, I have a similar screen on the 6D2.  i like the tilt screen only because I can fold the screen away, and keep it protected better than any screen protector can.  I have disabled the image preview after each shot in all o f my bodies, which SAVES battery life in a major way.  With a battery grip, I can easily shoot 2000 shots with any body I have.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Waddizzle, thanks again. I always use a tripod when birding, too heavy otherwise. I had been using and aluminum Manfrooto with a really heavy Manfrotto gimbal which is great for using when car is nearby, but I like tobacpack in pretty remote places so I gave Manfrotto set up to girlfried and got an carbob fiber Induro Tripop with a carbon fiber gimbal and saved a couple pounds of weight.

Announcements