cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

80d Won't recognize batteries, shuts down

Zaned
Apprentice
Hi. I've got an 80d and bought 2 off brand batteries. The camera asks if they show the Canon logo, I say no. It asks if I want to continue using, I say yes. Then randomly, sometimes immediately, sometimes 3 minutes later it just shuts down. Mostly when I need the camera most....

Any information? Thanks.
9 REPLIES 9

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Either buy OEM Canon batteries or buy 3rd party batteries which are known to work.  The Watson LP-E6N is a good alternative if you don't want to purchase a Canon battery. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Zaned
Apprentice
Thank you

Congrats on the new body.  You are going to love it. Be sure to do your research, the lower price isn't always a "good deal".

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

@shadowsports wrote:

Congrats on the new body.  You are going to love it. Be sure to do your research, the lower price isn't always a "good deal".

I would have thought you to say beware of “package deals” that include a lot of worthless accessories, like bad batteries and memory cards.  Plastic tripods and cheap filters.  Etc.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

@shadowsports wrote:

I would have thought you to say beware of “package deals” that include a lot of worthless accessories, like bad batteries and memory cards.  Plastic tripods and cheap filters.  Etc.

Wadizzle,

Thanks for that..  gave me a good laugh, as so many of the "deals" are chuck full of toys no one should trust their equipment to. 

Zaned,

Definitely go back and trade or get a refund for the defective lower quality accessories.  If they give you any trouble, just threaten to return all off it.  You're spending your hard earned money.  The stuff should work.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

Zaned
Apprentice
Well this wasn't a package. I bought them at best buy. I'm gonna take it back and see what they say too. It's very annoying that they work now and then. Just not when I'm about to take an action shot that I want...

@Zaned wrote:
Well this wasn't a package. I bought them at best buy. I'm gonna take it back and see what they say too. It's very annoying that they work now and then. Just not when I'm about to take an action shot that I want...

The Big Blue Box store is not one of my favorite places to purchase big ticket items.  They seem to have security issues related to inventory control at some locations.  I would advise cutting to the chase, and just get a full refund.  Your purchase should have come with a genuine Canon battery.  That’s how it leaves the factory.

I made a couple of major purchases with them, and the item obviously had been returned by a previous customer.  It was not properly packaged.  The items were not functioning properly, and should have been returned to the manufacturer.

I purchase Canon gear from one of two online vendors:  Canon USA and B&H Photo Video.  I avoid eBay and Amazon like the plague, although I have friends and relatives who swear by them.  Canon and B&H have excellent support after the sale.  You cannot say the same about most online retailers.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Zaned
Apprentice
Ah, sorry for confusion. The camera did. But I was referring to the off brand batteries I bought there.

We understand.  I buy from the same 2 places Wadizzle does.  No headaches, no problems.  Ya, you have to wait a few days (no instant gratification) but buying from a reputable source is worth it.  The savings is just a bonus.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements