cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

80D turns off on its own

lhilton1991
Contributor

I have a 6 month old 80D. Randomly in use the camera turns off by itself. Sometimes itll turn back on if i press some buttons, but most of the time i have to turn it off then on again. The battery is charged but im not sure whats causing this. ANyone have any idea by any chance?

This youtube video demonstrates the same issue. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8WnYIRkoyk

Thank you so much

23 REPLIES 23

I'm having a similar issue that I can't seem to get resolved. I have the Canon 80D also. It works perfectly for me when recording videos. The problem I'm having is that when I use the EOS Webcam Utility (and not recording) the camera cuts off after a few minutes. Usually it's about 4 or 5 minutes. The screen displays ERR 70. It will go away once i turn the power off and back on. This issue only happens when I'm using it as a webcam. I never have that error message at any other time and i never have any problems recording videos. I keep the auto shut off disabled, so it's not a timer issue. I've done time lapse videos and other regular videos. This only happens to me when it's connected to my computer for use as a webcam. Original canon battery is fully charged, and I'm typically using a canon 24mm prime lens.

Any ideas why and how to resolve? Some of the other responses i've seen make sense but they don't really apply to me and my situation.

Also, my firmware is up to date.

Try a different lens.  Try turning off AF on the lens(es), too.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

thanks for the quick response. just tried with different lens two different times.......same result. Actually it was worse because it shut down and the error code popped up each time after about 2 minutes.

I'm beginning to think it has more to do with the eos webcam utility software for some reason. I've never had any issues before and the only time i'm having this issue now is when connected to my laptop as a webcam. I've had dslr cameras for about 3 years now but last week was my first attempt at using as webcam.

Have there been any recent updates to the OS on your laptop? Have you tried rolling back the laptop to an earlier date prior to any updates?

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements