cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

80D turns off on its own

lhilton1991
Contributor

I have a 6 month old 80D. Randomly in use the camera turns off by itself. Sometimes itll turn back on if i press some buttons, but most of the time i have to turn it off then on again. The battery is charged but im not sure whats causing this. ANyone have any idea by any chance?

This youtube video demonstrates the same issue. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8WnYIRkoyk

Thank you so much

23 REPLIES 23

Would it do this because the camera's buffer memory is full? Are you using a suitably high speed memory card?

You might try shooting some lower resolution video and see if that alleviates the problem. Did you format your card in the camera?

@lhilton1991 wrote:
Yes but it never reached thirty minutes. And also, it's not overheating because it will happen very fast. About a few minutes into recording

YES, I know this post is old.

It would only reach 30 minutes at the lower shooting resolutions.  For HD video, you will run up against the 2GB files size limit, long before you hit 30 minutes.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Hauyoudoin
Apprentice

Have you found a fix to this issue? I'm experiencing the same problem

If the camera is only six months old, and you have a one year warranty, why not just let Canon service it?

Hi there!

The same is happening to me. Did you solve it?

I'd aprecciate if anyone could share a solution here.

Thanks!

@dehschneider wrote:

Hi there!

Thanks!

Are you having the camera shutdown when shooting video.  There is no real “fix” for how the camera behaves when shooting video.  The best fix is buy a camcorder, or an actual video camera.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

@dehschneider wrote:

Hi there!

Thanks!

Are you having the camera shutdown when shooting video.  There is no real “fix” for how the camera behaves when shooting video.  The best fix is buy a camcorder, or an actual video camera.

Actually that didn't happen to me. At least, not yet!

My problem was when holding the camera and touching or pressing some parts of its body.

But I did solve that issue with the video that was posted above.

ungstrup
Apprentice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W21Y6j_o7u0

Try what he does in this video. for me it was the switch in the SD CARD that needed to be pushed in. I hope it helps!

Best regards

@ungstrup wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W21Y6j_o7u0

Try what he does in this video. for me it was the switch in the SD CARD that needed to be pushed in. I hope it helps!

Best regards

Thanks ungstrup!

Same was happening here. I just used a knife do push the tiny switch at the memory card door. I've used the camera several times since then and it worked perfectly fine!

frapster
Apprentice

Old question but this is an issue I was wrestling with and resolved in the following way:

First - couldn't get a clear display. Viewfinder info was showing in my output (recorded and live). Fix: use the 'info' button to turn off all viewfinder details. Usually 2 clicks. After that, be sure you're in manual focus. That will get rid of the boxes.

Second - camera kept shutting off after a few minutes. There's a feature sleeps the camera after a preset time. Go into your menu and look for the sleep/auto shutoff. Because I was not actively recording on my camera but, instead, livestreaming - it would automatically shut off after a few minutes. 4 to be precise. Disable that feature in the menu.

Announcements