cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

80D turns off on its own

lhilton1991
Contributor

I have a 6 month old 80D. Randomly in use the camera turns off by itself. Sometimes itll turn back on if i press some buttons, but most of the time i have to turn it off then on again. The battery is charged but im not sure whats causing this. ANyone have any idea by any chance?

This youtube video demonstrates the same issue. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8WnYIRkoyk

Thank you so much

23 REPLIES 23

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Are you doing anything to turn it back on or is it going off and on on its own?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

lhilton1991
Contributor
We flip it off and on again. But sometime when it turns off. We can just press some buttons and it will react again.

There is a timer that shuts power off and extinguishes the display. Let me find it. 

The LCD is on a 4 second timer. Does that seem about right for your camera's behavior?

IMG_0551.PNG

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

lhilton1991
Contributor
If you're referring to the auto power off, we've disabled it 😞

@lhilton1991 wrote:
If you're referring to the auto power off, we've disabled it 😞

Just because it may blank the screen, what makes you think the camera is turning itself off.  When it does go into low power mode, which is not the same as turning itself off, it may take a couple of seconds for the camera to fully wake back up.

I have not heard you describe anything out of the ordinary.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

lhilton1991
Contributor
Well I believe it is because it does it while the camera is recording as well. My wife uses it to film her YouTube videos. So idk why it would do that while she's recording you know?

@lhilton1991 wrote:
Well I believe it is because it does it while the camera is recording as well. My wife uses it to film her YouTube videos. So idk why it would do that while she's recording you know?

A camera turns off while shooting video because it thinks the sensor is in danger of overheating or because the 30-minute limit has been reached.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

lhilton1991
Contributor
Yes but it never reached thirty minutes. And also, it's not overheating because it will happen very fast. About a few minutes into recording

I would try a new Canon battery.

Announcements