cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

80D shutter issue

glang
Apprentice

My less than a year old 80D failed around a month ago with Error 20 message I could not resolve, so I dropped it off the the shop I bought it at and they sent it in to canon for a repair.  Yesterday I heard back that the canon service center said the shutter damage was due to an impact so the warranty wouldn’t cover the repair.  This camera is either round my neck or in a camera bag and I have not dropped it or my camera bag.  Anyone had a similar experience?  I’m so disappointed that I’m without my camera already for a month and I just authorized the repair and that they won’t honor the warranty. 

5 REPLIES 5

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Could be one of two issues. Did the bag swing against something while you were walking?  Second did something inside the bag hit against the camera? Even something like a pencil touching the shutter would spell disaster.

I have found Canon to be very forgiving and customer oriented so they must have strongly believed something did touch the shutter.  The ole saying never put anything smaller than a football inside the shutter/mirror box!

If I were you, I would call Canon and ask, why.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

glang
Apprentice
I got the information second hand from the place I bought the camera from who sent it in for me. I’m not aware of any bump bad enough to damage the shutter and I alway have a lens on it.
I didn’t even poke about in it, when it failed I took it to the the camera store and guy I dealt with opened it up and checked inside.
I authorized the repair and am suckIng up the cost because I don’t want a $1200 paperweight.

Call Canon 1 (800) 652-2666, not the shop you bought it from.  Doesn't sound quite right to me but Canon will be able to tell you the straight skinny.

EB

glang
Apprentice
I don’t have a service request number.... would they be able to help me without it?

There is one way to find out, isn't there?  1 (800) 652-2666

EB
Announcements