cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

80D manual focus while in Autofocus, turn off

jalex
Contributor

I just purchased an 80D and am loving it.  Ive noticed even if the cmera is in autofocus the manual focus ring still works (18-135 EFS USM Lens) Im afaid my big fingers will change focus, or by mistaking the focus ring instead of the zoom ring... I also have the EOS R and that feature can be shut off,,, its called "Lens electronic MF" it can be set to off...  Just courios if it can also be shut off on the 80D.  So no manual focus would work until I switch to MF... 

Thanks all,,, 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

That lens has what Canon call Full Time Manual Focus.

\Annotation 2019-12-27 190701.jpg

Cannot disable as long as camera is awake.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

View solution in original post

Tim
Authority

jalex, 

One version of the EF-S 18-135mm lens, the version which is f/3.5-5.6 IS USM, is full time manual focusing.  That one will focus even in AF mode and cannot be altered.  

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

That lens has what Canon call Full Time Manual Focus.

\Annotation 2019-12-27 190701.jpg

Cannot disable as long as camera is awake.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Tim
Authority

jalex, 

One version of the EF-S 18-135mm lens, the version which is f/3.5-5.6 IS USM, is full time manual focusing.  That one will focus even in AF mode and cannot be altered.  

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thanks all for the fast responses.  Seams it can not be shut off.  My lens will focus manually in AF mode regardless of the shutter being half pressed.  I'll have to be more carefull...  it's a great camera, loving both my Canon's.... 

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
Half pressing the shutter wakes the camera up. Wait about 20 seconds and then see if it still focuses. I don’t think it will.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@jalex wrote:

I just purchased an 80D and am loving it.  Ive noticed even if the cmera is in autofocus the manual focus ring still works (18-135 EFS USM Lens) Im afaid my big fingers will change focus, or by mistaking the focus ring instead of the zoom ring... I also have the EOS R and that feature can be shut off,,, its called "Lens electronic MF" it can be set to off...  Just courios if it can also be shut off on the 80D.  So no manual focus would work until I switch to MF... 

Thanks all,,, 

How are you holding the camera?  Where is your left hand?

F3D08109-FACB-4EB8-B93E-D48B1CE31AFB.jpeg

You left hand should be under the camera.  I sit the corner of body in my palm near my thumb, and my fingers can only reach the zoom ring.  Your elbows should be in close to your body.  No chicken wings. Elbows in.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks, it is a litle of a reach as when Im holding the camera my left hand is closer to or under the zoom ring... I was just looking for a way to shut that feature off like in the Eos R.  There are times however I like MF asisit or being able to tweek focus even though Im still in AF.... You have all been so helpful... what a great community!  

Announcements