Canon Community Canon Community
 


Reply
VIP
Posts: 8,055
Registered: ‎08-13-2015

Re: 80D focus


@chief wrote:
Thanks I have on my 6d got some shots of birds in flight with 1/1600 and higher with iso 600-800. I have a buddy who uses single point in Al Servo for bif on 80d and swears by it, next time I see him gotta ask why not sure why you would use it if no focus confirmation. It seems to me the mode with the 9 af points would seem to work best for bif. I was having hard time on 6d with just the one af point keeping bif in focus not to mention the 4.5 FPS

It takes practice to track BIF.  That was taken with a 6D on an overcast day.  1/1000, f/5.6, ISO 320, 400mm

 

EOS 6D2017_10_141173.jpg

 

I use all of the AF points, and always set image priority to focus priority.  This was handheld.  I use a monopod.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."
VIP
Posts: 8,055
Registered: ‎08-13-2015

Re: 80D focus


@chief wrote:
I forgot is there ever a time you would use single point in AI Servo

Umm, not with a 6D.  Maybe if you are shooting video, or wanted to limit the number of active AF points.  But, you can also control how many AF points, and where, can be automatically selected.  So, no, I cannot think of a time to use a single pont in AI Servo mode.  Maybe, if you want to pick out one subject, but you cannot see the AF point, though.

 

Also, BTW, Canon's DPP software can show you "active" AF points, too.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."
Frequent Contributor
Posts: 92
Registered: ‎09-16-2013

Re: 80D focus

the ducks where 6d 1/1250 iso 400 f/6.3 and eagle was 1/2000 f/7.1 iso 800IMG_2084.jpgIMG_5793ht.jpg


@Waddizzle wrote:

@chief wrote:
Thanks I have on my 6d got some shots of birds in flight with 1/1600 and higher with iso 600-800. I have a buddy who uses single point in Al Servo for bif on 80d and swears by it, next time I see him gotta ask why not sure why you would use it if no focus confirmation. It seems to me the mode with the 9 af points would seem to work best for bif. I was having hard time on 6d with just the one af point keeping bif in focus not to mention the 4.5 FPS

It takes practice to track BIF.  That was taken with a 6D on an overcast day.  1/1000, f/5.6, ISO 320, 400mm

 

EOS 6D2017_10_141173.jpg

 

I use all of the AF points, and always set image priority to focus priority.  This was handheld.  I use a monopod.



@Waddizzle wrote:

@chief wrote:
Thanks I have on my 6d got some shots of birds in flight with 1/1600 and higher with iso 600-800. I have a buddy who uses single point in Al Servo for bif on 80d and swears by it, next time I see him gotta ask why not sure why you would use it if no focus confirmation. It seems to me the mode with the 9 af points would seem to work best for bif. I was having hard time on 6d with just the one af point keeping bif in focus not to mention the 4.5 FPS

It takes practice to track BIF.  That was taken with a 6D on an overcast day.  1/1000, f/5.6, ISO 320, 400mm

 

EOS 6D2017_10_141173.jpg

 

I use all of the AF points, and always set image priority to focus priority.  This was handheld.  I use a monopod.


 

Frequent Contributor
Posts: 92
Registered: ‎09-16-2013

Re: 80D focus

very nice shot

Frequent Contributor
Posts: 92
Registered: ‎09-16-2013

Re: 80D focus

Forgot to mention those two shots where single point focus on a tripod you can see eagle is not quite in focus
Frequent Contributor
Posts: 92
Registered: ‎09-16-2013

Re: 80D focus

You mentioned early AF points assist mode what and where is that checked manual and could not find thanks
Highlighted
VIP
Posts: 8,055
Registered: ‎08-13-2015

Re: 80D focus

[ Edited ]

@chief wrote:
You mentioned early AF points assist mode what and where is that checked manual and could not find thanks

There is no one setting.  It is a combination of several settings in the Custom Functions II [Orange] AF menu.  You must set them manually.  Experiment with them, especially C.Fn.II settings 1, 2, and 4, as well as, 8, 9, and 10.

 

The 7D2 takes some of those combinations of settings, and creates several user configurable "AF Cases" out of them.  The AF Cases are presets for a combination of settings.  They work like setting up a custom shooting mode.  In the 80D, and the 6D2, you must set AF shooting modes them manually.  There are no "AF Cases, which allow you to set up AF Mode presets.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."
Frequent Contributor
Posts: 92
Registered: ‎09-16-2013

Re: 80D focus

Thanks again, have been reading about those custom setting in online manual, in custom I have #1 locked on at -2 and will experiement with the other custom settings you mentioned, for other settings what would you recommend for bif. Thanks

VIP
Posts: 8,055
Registered: ‎08-13-2015

Re: 80D focus


@chief wrote:

Thanks again, have been reading about those custom setting in online manual, in custom I have #1 locked on at -2 and will experiement with the other custom settings you mentioned, for other settings what would you recommend for bif. Thanks


Experiement.  I like the Image Priority settings set for Focus.  There are settings that control how quickly it switches AF points, AF point sensitivity to contrast.  There is no one setting that works best for all scenarios, but the defaults [for 8, 9, & 10] are a good starting point.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."
VIP
Posts: 8,055
Registered: ‎08-13-2015

Re: 80D focus


@chief wrote:
Forgot to mention those two shots where single point focus on a tripod you can see eagle is not quite in focus

The ducks are razor sharp.  The eagle looks like you may have simply missed focus.  Not every shot is going to be a keeper. 

 

If you can see all of the AF points tracking a subject, then you're on the right track.  Some people like to limit the number of AF points that can do tracking, which is Zone AF does for you.  The best way to understand the settings is to experiment with them.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."
powered by Lithium

LIKE US on Facebook FOLLOW US on Twitter WATCH US on YouTube CONNECT WITH US on Linkedin WATCH US on Vimeo FOLLOW US on Instagram SHOP CANON at the Canon Online Store
© Canon U.S.A., Inc.   |    Terms of Use   |    Privacy Statement