cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

80D cannot select RAW as a Image-Recording Quality

eccard87
Apprentice
I just recently got into photography so my apologies if this question is a little ridiculous. I’ve been tinkering with this and for the life of me I cannot get my camera to select RAW as a image-recording quality in any mode other than A+. In all other modes P, Tv, Av, M, and B the selections are greyed out. I’ve tried reformatting my card, changing shooting modes, and reading the manual (it shows how to select them, but says nothing about why to do when you cannot select them) any help would be tremendously appreciated! Thanks in advance.

-Eric
8 REPLIES 8

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I think you may have been tinkering with settings a little too much.  Try resetting the camera back to factory defaults.

There are a couple of modes of operation that only work with JPEG files.  One of them might be in-camera HDR shooting.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I had my camera set for AUTO-HDR. Raw was disabled (greyed-out)

Five year old thread there DV. I doubt anyone is still around reading it.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Eric you need to reset the camera to default.  Clear all settings. Raw is not available with all settings.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Eric you need to reset the camera to default.  Clear all settings. Raw is not available with all settings.

I believe it is. Image size is one of the few custom settings that does NOT have a little star indicating that it is only available in creative modes.

From my T6S manual:

Untitled.jpg

Possibly, I bow to a real 80D owner as I am not. I am only going by what I see in other models. However the fact they mention it in the manual suggests it is a possibility. A reset can't hurt and may help.

EB

Set the mode dial to M and than you can set RAW as your format. It will keep it no matter what mode you are in. 

MikeSowsun
Authority
Authority

I have an 80D and can confirm that RAW is disabled (greyed out) if HDR is enabled. RAW will be disabled in all shooting modes. (including Manual mode)

Conversely, HDR is disabled if RAW is enabled. Even RAW + JPEG will disable HDR.

Mike Sowsun
Announcements