cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

80D burst rate issue

jraproductions
Apprentice

Hey everyone,

I just purchased a used Canon 80D and a having a couple issue. I have been using the T5 and T6i previously and upgraded to the 80D to replace those. Anyway,

The issues I am having are, the camera won't shoot fast in bust mode, regardless of the setting anywhere (auto, manual etc). When I hold the shutter button it will take 1 picture every 2 seconds or so and say "busy" in the view finder. I have tried resetting the camera to original settings, different lenses, no lens, different battery, different SD card, changing ISO, F ratio and shutter speed. Nothing changes the rate, it is always about 2 seconds between shots and the busy indicator.

I am also having an issue that the pop up flash will not pop up. I usually shoot in manual with an external flash, but it is an issue. I can't hear the mechanism trying to release it like its just stuck, no sound at all and the I can see the flash firing thru the edges in the flash housing.

Obviously the main issue is the lack of shooting in burst mode. I am trying to determine if it is something I am missing or if I have purchased someone elses problem.

I purchased on eBay and will get my money back either way, I just want to be sure I am following thru before maing a claim for refund.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

The main issue is your flash mechanism is malfunctioning. The flash is firing even when closed. The “busy” message is the camera waiting to recharge the flash. That is why it is so slow to fire again. That is also reason enough to return it. 

If you go into the camera’s flash menu, you can disable the flash firing, and you will be able to shoot at the full burst rate. 

Mike Sowsun

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@jraproductions wrote:

Hey everyone,

I just purchased a used Canon 80D and a having a couple issue. I have been using the T5 and T6i previously and upgraded to the 80D to replace those. Anyway,

The issues I am having are, the camera won't shoot fast in bust mode, regardless of the setting anywhere (auto, manual etc). When I hold the shutter button it will take 1 picture every 2 seconds or so and say "busy" in the view finder. I have tried resetting the camera to original settings, different lenses, no lens, different battery, different SD card, changing ISO, F ratio and shutter speed. Nothing changes the rate, it is always about 2 seconds between shots and the busy indicator.

I am also having an issue that the pop up flash will not pop up. I usually shoot in manual with an external flash, but it is an issue. I can't hear the mechanism trying to release it like its just stuck, no sound at all and the I can see the flash firing thru the edges in the flash housing.

Obviously the main issue is the lack of shooting in burst mode. I am trying to determine if it is something I am missing or if I have purchased someone elses problem.

I purchased on eBay and will get my money back either way, I just want to be sure I am following thru before maing a claim for refund.

Switch the lens to MF (manual focus) and see if that fixes your burst rate issue. If it does fix it your problem is in your focus priority settings. 

If it doesn't how fast/new is the SD card you are using?

The main issue is your flash mechanism is malfunctioning. The flash is firing even when closed. The “busy” message is the camera waiting to recharge the flash. That is why it is so slow to fire again. That is also reason enough to return it. 

If you go into the camera’s flash menu, you can disable the flash firing, and you will be able to shoot at the full burst rate. 

Mike Sowsun

Thanks

That apparently was the issue with burst rate. I always shoot in manual mode and at least with the T series cameras I have it wasn't an issue, at least I don't think it was as I never had a problem either way and don't use flash I primarliy use those cameras for astrophotography with my 11" SC telescope, I just recently wanted to get into more mainstream photography and decided the 80D was a good starting point. I am learning to use lighting and remote flash rather than the built in one. Its probably good for taking at family get togethers just to get a picture with a flash but thats about it so Im not concerned with the fact it doesn't pop up.

Thanks for the info

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Turn off Distortion Correction:

distortion.jpg

Announcements