cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

80D: bad focus via viewfinder, good focus via LiveView

alekdavis
Apprentice

Last week my two-year-old 80D started having focusing issues when I use the viewfinder. When using LiveView, it works fine, but when I use the viewfined, even though it shows green squares, the focus points come out blurry in the pictures. Tried differen lenses (70-200 2.8, 85 1.8, Sigma 50 Art), and all show the same problem (lenses work fine on my 6D Mark 2). Tried with auto and manual modes, same story. I installed the latest firmware, but it did not help. Any ideas what could have cause it and what I can do? I did not have any accidents with the camera (no drops, water, etc, so I am really puszzled). Thanks.

10 REPLIES 10

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

It sounds like it probably needs a trip to Canon but there is one thing to check.  One of the options in the camera menu is to offset the focus adjustment for ALL lenses instead of individually.  If you accidentally entered an offset there it could cause that issue, you want it set to 0.  This probably isn't the issue but it is easy to check.  With your 80D, this setting is in the custom function menu.

Rodger

Canon 80D MFA.jpg

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Thanks you. Unfortunately, didn't help. 😞 

Have you tried to using a rocket blower to clean out the mirror box.  The AF sensor could be dirty.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Would a dirty AF sensor work fine with LiveView? I would assume that it would always result in blur regardless of shooting with Live View or viewfinder. Or am I wrong? Don't want to accidentally make things even worse.

LiveView focuses directly using what the sensor sees. The AF sensor isn't even in the light path when using LiveView. You can't make things worse by using a blower to try and remove any dust that may be on the AF sensor.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

The AF sensors are under the mirror. Put you camera in a Manual Sensor cleaning mode and the mirror will flip up. It will also open the shutter and expose the image sensor. 

This I s a photo of the 20D, but the 80D will look very similar.

EDB97357-9B51-44FF-BD70-9B3E86DC51FD.jpeg

8DCA53A9-D4E9-40C1-BB81-C4C576E285EC.jpeg

Mike Sowsun

This is one of those, I did something and it feels good but it didn't fix it, moments. I agree with Rodger you need to call Canon. Tell them the issue and ask for a C&C. 1-800-652-2666.

BTW, other things that don't, or very rarely, help are cleaning the lens contacts and, yes, updating/reinstalling the FW.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Could it be something a local camera repair shop can fix or does it need to go to Canon?

@alekdavis wrote:

Could it be something a local camera repair shop can fix or does it need to go to Canon?

What is your definition of a camera shop? If it is a local store that sells cameras it's unlikely they are in a position to repair what appears to be an internal problem - assuming you've tried all the recommendations and it still doesn't work.

Since its local I guess you have nothing to lose by asking them, but be cautious - just because they say they can doesn't mean they are truly capable.

If it was my camera I'd be sending it to Canon.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements