Canon Community Canon Community
 


Reply
Highlighted
New Contributor
Posts: 3
Registered: ‎06-07-2017

80D + What Second Camera???

[ Edited ]

So I switched from Nikon to the Canon 60D for the last two years or so, Iv'e been pretty satisfed with it. I just bought the Canon 80D because the touch screen, headphone jack and better auto focus interested me.. but I'm wondering what would be a good second camera to have on set? Should I just stick with the 60D or would their be any other cameras that I'm unaware of that could work for me as well?

 

I shot a wedding with the 60D and Canon t3i and there wasn't much of a picture quality difference so I am curious everyone elses' thoughts on this before I sell my camera and/or make another purchase.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Posts: 1,971
Registered: ‎02-26-2015

Re: 80D + What Second Camera???


@nsqui0001 wrote:

So I switched from Nikon to the Canon 60D for the last two years or so, Iv'e been pretty satisfed with it. I just bought the Canon 80D because the touch screen, headphone jack and better auto focus interested me.. but I'm wondering what would be a good second camera to have on set? Should I just stick with the 60D or would their be any other cameras that I'm unaware of that could work for me as well?

 

I shot a wedding with the 60D and Canon t3i and there wasn't much of a picture quality difference so I am curious everyone elses' thoughts on this before I sell my camera and/or make another purchase.


Just keep your 60D as your backup camera. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor
Posts: 5,418
Registered: ‎06-25-2014

Re: 80D + What Second Camera???


@nsqui0001 wrote:

So I switched from Nikon to the Canon 60D for the last two years or so, Iv'e been pretty satisfed with it. I just bought the Canon 80D because the touch screen, headphone jack and better auto focus interested me.. but I'm wondering what would be a good second camera to have on set? Should I just stick with the 60D or would their be any other cameras that I'm unaware of that could work for me as well?

 

I shot a wedding with the 60D and Canon t3i and there wasn't much of a picture quality difference so I am curious everyone elses' thoughts on this before I sell my camera and/or make another purchase.


For the time being, I'd just keep all three. At a fast paced event like a wedding, you probably want to carry two cameras, so as not to have to waste time changing lenses. The T3i is likely not worth enough that the money you'd get by selling it would outweigh the advantage of having it as a spare.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Highlighted
New Contributor
Posts: 3
Registered: ‎06-07-2017

Re: 80D + What Second Camera???

Hey, so I borrowed a friends t3i, it isn't mine. So I just have the Canon 80D and 60D right now. I was just told that it was pointless to have those two cameras because there's not much of a difference between the two. So, it made me wonder -- hmmm... is there a better camera to alternate with?

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 3,942
Registered: ‎02-17-2016

Re: 80D + What Second Camera???


@nsqui0001 wrote:

So I just have the Canon 80D and 60D right now. I was just told that it was pointless to have those two cameras because there's not much of a difference between the two.


Isn't that kind of the point of a spare body? That they are interchangeable?

Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Posts: 1,971
Registered: ‎02-26-2015

Re: 80D + What Second Camera???


@kvbarkley wrote:

@nsqui0001 wrote:

So I just have the Canon 80D and 60D right now. I was just told that it was pointless to have those two cameras because there's not much of a difference between the two.


Isn't that kind of the point of a spare body? That they are interchangeable?


Exactly, the similar design and control layout makes moving from one camera to the other seamless. That's the ideal situation for a spare body. 

Highlighted
New Contributor
Posts: 3
Registered: ‎06-07-2017

Re: 80D + What Second Camera???

Okay cool. I thought so, but his comment through me off lol. This is my first time having two cameras at the same time but I'll defintely stick with my 60D then. Thanks!!!

Highlighted
Respected Contributor
Posts: 1,861
Registered: ‎12-02-2012

Re: 80D + What Second Camera???

Even if it were 2 identical cameras it would be good. Keep a different lens on each so switching lenses is as easy as grabbing the other camera. Also a spare is everything if one breaks. 

 

Do do you find the 60d struggles to focus indoors in dim lighting?  The newer cameras are much better and faster at that. Even a T7i is now very good at that. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?
powered by Lithium

LIKE US on Facebook FOLLOW US on Twitter WATCH US on YouTube CONNECT WITH US on Linkedin WATCH US on Vimeo FOLLOW US on Instagram SHOP CANON at the Canon Online Store
© Canon U.S.A., Inc.   |    Terms of Use   |    Privacy Statement