cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

80D Video Settings

MikeV2013
Contributor

The Lions Club to which I belong would like me to video tape our speakers. I am a long time still photographer, but have zero video knowledge. I am going to use an 80D, 24-70 f2.8, and Road mic. The meeting room holds about 100 people so it is not very large. I suspect the front row of lights will be off for the projector screen.I am thinking manual focus with maybe f8 for DOF.

Question, please give me a starting set of camera video settings with which to practice.

Can you please recommend a book, online tutorial/video that can get me up to spped rather quickly.

Thank you.

Mike

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@MikeV2013 wrote:
Thank you for the videos. I can do the exposure/DOF settings pretty much in my head for stills with my regular cameras. Just not sure about frame rates, etc. for video. I took a practice shoot and am headed to Photoshop to see what I can do - learn Premier if I must. I just want to video a speaker not become a videographer. I am hoping the 24-70 f2.8 helps with the light issue.

I think any quality lens would be just fine for static shots.  It is when subjects begin to move about the frame, or when you begin to move the camera, is when things begin to get really complicated, really fast.  Set up a tripod, and let it run.  Do not forget about the 30 minute time limits.  You can also expect the camera to overheat after extended use in video mode.

I suggest using 24 fps frame rate, and a 1/50 sec shutter speed, which is equivalent to a 180 degree shutter angle.  This will give your video a ”cinema” look.  Faster frame rates will allow you to record in brighter light without the use of an ND filter.

Using higher frame rates will, of course, need faster shutter speeds.  But, the faster frame rates will not only create MUCH larger files for a given recording time, but the resulting videos may begin to take on a “video tape” look, due to a loss of motion blur in the individual frames.

Take a few stills of the venue, so that you can get an idea of what the light is like.  I have no idea what it is, so I can only offer rules of thumb, guidelines, and strategies.

Computing DOF in your head is pretty impressive.  I regularly refer to the table when I know light and DOF will be critical.  Given enough practice, I suppose that i could memorize enough of it with enough experience with the same lenses.

Canon has Movie Software that you can use, too. Not as good as PSE, but it is free.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

Thanks man. That was really helpful.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@MikeV2013 wrote:

I suspect the front row of lights will be off for the projector screen.  I am thinking manual focus with maybe f8 for DOF.

Question, please give me a starting set of camera video settings with which to practice.

Can you please recommend a book, online tutorial/video that can get me up to spped rather quickly.

Thank you.

Mike

I suspect that you will most Isley be “starved” for light.  Using f/8 would likely exacerbate the light problem.  Here are two links that I hope the moderators do not delete.  The first link is to a video with a low tech demonstrate of how to do exposure “math”.

https://youtu.be/WNpDL2FEUdI

He demonstrates how to estimate equivalent exposure settings.  Bear in mind that your shutter speeds will most likely be limited to much slower speeds than he uses in the video.  A videographer might want to have a fourth column, ND filter.  But, since you will be shooting in an environment that is likely to be starved for light, I doubt if you will need an ND filter.

The next is a link that I have posted many times before to Depth of Field calculator. 

http://www.dofmaster.com/doftable.html

This is an old link, so th 80D wil not be listed.  But several older Canon APS-C bodies are listed, which have the same sensor size as the 80D.  You could use the default setting for the 7D.

Without knowing what focal length you would be using, I hope that you can see how it is impossible to offer an opinion on whether or not using f/8 is appropriate.  Hopefully, you can use this table to answer that question for yourself.

But, since you are a member of the club, then go into the meeting room and practice recording video.

Thank you for the videos. I can do the exposure/DOF settings pretty much in my head for stills with my regular cameras. Just not sure about frame rates, etc. for video. I took a practice shoot and am headed to Photoshop to see what I can do - learn Premier if I must. I just want to video a speaker not become a videographer. I am hoping the 24-70 f2.8 helps with the light issue.

@MikeV2013 wrote:

I think any quality lens would be just fine for static shots.  It is when subjects begin to move about the frame, or when you begin to move the camera, is when things begin to get really complicated, really fast.  Set up a tripod, and let it run.  Do not forget about the 30 minute time limits.  You can also expect the camera to overheat after extended use in video mode.

I suggest using 24 fps frame rate, and a 1/50 sec shutter speed, which is equivalent to a 180 degree shutter angle.  This will give your video a ”cinema” look.  Faster frame rates will allow you to record in brighter light without the use of an ND filter.

Using higher frame rates will, of course, need faster shutter speeds.  But, the faster frame rates will not only create MUCH larger files for a given recording time, but the resulting videos may begin to take on a “video tape” look, due to a loss of motion blur in the individual frames.

Take a few stills of the venue, so that you can get an idea of what the light is like.  I have no idea what it is, so I can only offer rules of thumb, guidelines, and strategies.

Computing DOF in your head is pretty impressive.  I regularly refer to the table when I know light and DOF will be critical.  Given enough practice, I suppose that i could memorize enough of it with enough experience with the same lenses.

Canon has Movie Software that you can use, too. Not as good as PSE, but it is free.

Perfect. That is what I needed to know. Hard to look at a DOF table in the middle of the jungle (LOL) so I learned to adapt. I appreciate you help.

Mike
Announcements