cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

80D Slow Write Speeds

slogical
Apprentice

Hi,

While recently shooting action and taking bursts of pictures I regularly filled the buffer, to me it seems as though it takes a very long time to write the photos to the card.

I have tested with all of my SD cards, they range from 30Mb/s to 90Mb/s, all are Sandisk. In each case I have shot a burst of RAW photos until the buffer is full and waited for the photos to be written to the card. On every card it has take 35-38 seconds to clear the buffer, is this normal or should I be concerned?

Many thanks

3 REPLIES 3

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

It's normal.

Check the front of the card for an icon that looks like a movie "clapper board" with a number on it.  That number is the ACTUAL write-speed of the card (videographers need to know if the card can keep up with the video capture rate so they provide this number on many cards).  The other numbers are merely the "transfer speed" (and generally you can READ a card much faster than you can WRITE data to a card.)

On higher end bodies you can use CF cards instead of SD cards.  CF cards (especially if they are CFast cards) have a much faster write speed.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

Here is a site that tested several cards in the 80D and there is quite a bit of variance in card performance:

https://alikgriffin.com/best-memory-card-for-the-canon-80d/

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Peter
Authority
Authority
Maximum write speed of 80D is around 90MB/s. Low level format the card in your camera, then benchmark your card in your computer.
Announcements