Canon Community Canon Community

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Re: 80D Repair

It is unusual to have that same board fail twice in an 80D which isn't known for that problem.  It could be a coincidence but it could also be environmental if both boards died from the same cause.  You could have a camera bag, another accessory, or something else in the camera environment that is corroding or otherwise impacting this board. I went through a similar situation with a very young furnace that was going through a set of burners every couple of years.  It was set up originally to draw its air intake from the basement in which it is located but after two sets of corroded burners the HVAC tech and I traced the probable cause to the clumping cat litter I was using in the litter boxes in the basement and something in the scenting or clumping compound was likely the cause, an external air intake has cured that issue.

So put some thought into this before replacing the camera with a new model; take a close look at the camera bag, anything else stored in it, or other things to which your 80D has experienced frequent exposure.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video