cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

80D Repair

igmonster
Contributor

An update. Here is the original post.

Hello, I purchased an 80D kit in Costco in 06/2017. Recently, my camera started turning on and off by itself and was obviously unusable. I updated the firmware and changed the battery and followed a reset procedure after talking to Canon but to no avail. I shipped it to their service center and was told "The following part(s), PCB ASS'Y, MAIN W/LI BATT needs to be replaced" with a cost estimate of $398. Interested in opinions as to whether I should invest the money and have it repaired and if anyone pays for extended warranties which are rather expensive. Thanks.

Update

12-30-2019: In 03/2019 I sent the camera in for repair and paid the $400 bill. Repair warranty expired in 09/2019. In 12/2019 camera exhibited the same issues and was once again unusable. Sent it back in and they sent me a repair estimate of $355.  Spoke to a supervisor who offered the repair for $177 (50% off). I declined as I did not want to be into this camera for $577 with the fear that just after the next 6 month repair warranty expired I'd be shipping it in to be repaired AGAIN. I've seen the price for the 80D body as low as $799 but I don't think I will be buying a Canon product again. Just wanted to update my post from 03/2019 and vent a bit. Thanks for reading and Happy New Year to all. 

10 REPLIES 10

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

It is unusual to have that same board fail twice in an 80D which isn't known for that problem.  It could be a coincidence but it could also be environmental if both boards died from the same cause.  You could have a camera bag, another accessory, or something else in the camera environment that is corroding or otherwise impacting this board. I went through a similar situation with a very young furnace that was going through a set of burners every couple of years.  It was set up originally to draw its air intake from the basement in which it is located but after two sets of corroded burners the HVAC tech and I traced the probable cause to the clumping cat litter I was using in the litter boxes in the basement and something in the scenting or clumping compound was likely the cause, an external air intake has cured that issue.

So put some thought into this before replacing the camera with a new model; take a close look at the camera bag, anything else stored in it, or other things to which your 80D has experienced frequent exposure.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video
Announcements