cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

80D Repair

igmonster
Contributor

An update. Here is the original post.

Hello, I purchased an 80D kit in Costco in 06/2017. Recently, my camera started turning on and off by itself and was obviously unusable. I updated the firmware and changed the battery and followed a reset procedure after talking to Canon but to no avail. I shipped it to their service center and was told "The following part(s), PCB ASS'Y, MAIN W/LI BATT needs to be replaced" with a cost estimate of $398. Interested in opinions as to whether I should invest the money and have it repaired and if anyone pays for extended warranties which are rather expensive. Thanks.

Update

12-30-2019: In 03/2019 I sent the camera in for repair and paid the $400 bill. Repair warranty expired in 09/2019. In 12/2019 camera exhibited the same issues and was once again unusable. Sent it back in and they sent me a repair estimate of $355.  Spoke to a supervisor who offered the repair for $177 (50% off). I declined as I did not want to be into this camera for $577 with the fear that just after the next 6 month repair warranty expired I'd be shipping it in to be repaired AGAIN. I've seen the price for the 80D body as low as $799 but I don't think I will be buying a Canon product again. Just wanted to update my post from 03/2019 and vent a bit. Thanks for reading and Happy New Year to all. 

10 REPLIES 10

@igmonster wrote:

An update. Here is the original post.

Hello, I purchased an 80D kit in Costco in 06/2017. Recently, my camera started turning on and off by itself and was obviously unusable. I updated the firmware and changed the battery and followed a reset procedure after talking to Canon but to no avail. I shipped it to their service center and was told "The following part(s), PCB ASS'Y, MAIN W/LI BATT needs to be replaced" with a cost estimate of $398. Interested in opinions as to whether I should invest the money and have it repaired and if anyone pays for extended warranties which are rather expensive. Thanks.

Update

12-30-2019: In 03/2019 I sent the camera in for repair and paid the $400 bill. Repair warranty expired in 09/2019. In 12/2019 camera exhibited the same issues and was once again unusable. Sent it back in and they sent me a repair estimate of $355.  Spoke to a supervisor who offered the repair for $177 (50% off). I declined as I did not want to be into this camera for $577 with the fear that just after the next 6 month repair warranty expired I'd be shipping it in to be repaired AGAIN. I've seen the price for the 80D body as low as $799 but I don't think I will be buying a Canon product again. Just wanted to update my post from 03/2019 and vent a bit. Thanks for reading and Happy New Year to all. 

This is somewhat reminiscent of the main board problem on the 70D, which I guess we all thought had been corrected on the 80D. On the 70D, the conventional wisdom was that the camera was overheating from being used to shoot videos. Has your 80D been used extensively for videos?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Overheating would make sense. I only used the video feature a couple of times just to check out how it worked. Never shot any video other than that.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I would take them up on the discounted repair, anyway. Nikon has closed all of its' US repair centers, except for two.  Sony service is not the best in the industry, Canon has it.  Why else do you think they offered you a discounted repair?  

Engineers love looking at broken stuff, and figuring out why it broke.  They just may send you a new camera body.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Hi igmonster,

Really sorry about your 80D.  I have owned many Canon products over the last 40 yrs,  I never had a failure.  Was this lucky, absolutely.  All hardware fails, and some stuff before is time.  I too suggest you take others advice...  take Canon up on its offer.  Fix the 80D and sell the body.

Its too bad because you have missed most of the grand holiday sales.  Maybe something will come a long for New Year, but this could be your chance to grab a 90D.  Please do not have any reservations about buying another Canon product.  Did you get an 80D lemon, maybe so.   

You'll be out some cash, but this will be offset when you sell the 80D.  Doubt you'll ever have a problem like this again. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thanks Shadowsports. Good advice.

"Spoke to a supervisor who offered the repair for $177 ..."

Can you replace the 80D for $177 bucks?  I don't think so, so I would do it. If that only lasts 6 months again you can consider it as a $30 per month rental. Tha's pretty cheap camera rental. If it exceeds that 6 month target this time you even win bigger.  I would do it.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Looks like you could sell it for about $400 (based on Keh Camera), so you would have ~$220 to apply towards a new camera.

What is your mental level of confidence in the camera?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

"Looks like you could sell it for about $400 ..."

Wanting and getting can be and probably will be two different things.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

igmonster
Contributor

Thank you all for the good advice. I'm going to ruminate on this for a bit. Happy New Year to all !

Announcements